Back to overview,Home naval-today Croatian, US Officials Visit High-Speed Vessel Swift View post tag: US View post tag: Visit View post tag: officials A senior Croatian defense official was joined by a U.S. congressional delegation for a visit to the high-speed vessel Swift (HSV 2) at Lora Naval Base in Split, Croatia, April 4.Dr. Dragan Lozancic, the assistant minister of defense for the republic of Croatia, toured Swift with U.S. Sen. Mark Begich, U.S. Ambassador to Croatia James Foley and the Croatian Chief of Naval Operations, Rear Adm. Ante Urlic.During remarks to the Croatian media, Foley stressed the importance of the American-Croatian partnership.“Croatia is about to join the European Union,” said Foley, “And while this will present new opportunities, it will also present new challenges of a security nature, and it’s through this partnership that we meet those challenges together.”Begich also spoke about the importance of partnership. “It was a great honor to visit the crew of the Swift and their Croatian partners today,” said Begich. “Both play a vital role in the important partnership shared by our nations. I’ll be reporting back to my fellow senators in Washington that our alliance with Croatia is paying dividends for both countries.”While on board the group met with the combined crew of Sailors and civilian mariners, and observed a non-lethal weapon demonstration by members of the U.S. Marine Corps Black Sea Rotational Force.The crew was proud to showcase their mission to the distinguished visitors.“The visit was an important part of our theater security cooperation mission, here in 6th Fleet,” said Lt. Cmdr. Charles Eaton, the officer-in-charge of HSV 2. “We are very proud to continue strengthening the important partnership between Croatia and the U.S. Navy.” Begich was in Croatia to attend an economic forum and conduct official discussions with key leaders regarding issues affecting bilateral and regional relationshipsSwift, homeported out of Norfolk, Va., is a U.S. Military Sealift Command-chartered high-speed vessel, and is currently deployed to the U.S. Navy’s 6th Fleet area of responsibility in support of theater security cooperation efforts.[mappress]Naval Today Staff , April 06, 2012; Image: navy View post tag: Croatian Croatian, US Officials Visit High-Speed Vessel Swift View post tag: Naval Share this article View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Swift View post tag: Navy View post tag: High View post tag: speed View post tag: vessel April 6, 2012 Training & Education
Promoted Content8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthThese TV Characters Left The Show And It Just Got BetterThe Funniest Prankster Grandma And Her GrandsonWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Ever Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show You5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market ValueThe Best Cars Of All TimeTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More The fixture at the Karaiskakis Stadium will be Arteta’s first European game as Arsenal boss. He will be looking to go one better than predecessor Unai Emery, who guided Arsenal to last year’s Europa League final where they lost 4-1 to Chelsea. Winning the competition this season appears to be the best chance for Arteta to secure a return to Champions League football.Even with a potential ban for Manchester City meaning a fifth-placed Premier League finish could be enough to qualify for the Champions League, Arsenal’s prospects remain low. Read Also:Arteta set to offload Lacazette, Aubameyang, Ozil in major shake-up The win over Newcastle moved the Gunners up to 10th in the table but they remain six points behind rivals Tottenham in fifth. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Mesut Ozil will not travel for Arsenal’s Europa League round of 32 first-leg clash with Olympiacos due to personal reasons. Two men threatened to “kill” Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil The Gunners face the Greek Super League leaders in Athens on Thursday night but Ozil will play no part as the PA news agency understand his wife is close to giving birth. While Ozil misses out, midfielder Matteo Guendouzi returns to the squad having been dropped for Sunday’s 4-0 Premier League victory over Newcastle amid rumours of a fall-out with head coach Mikel Arteta. Lucas Torreira has also remained in London due to illness but could fly out on the day of the game if his condition improves, while January signing Pablo Mari could be in line for his debut.Advertisement Loading…
Press Association South Africa and the United States are expected to pose the greatest threats to Ireland’s £100million bid to host Rugby World Cup 2023. The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) has confirmed an all-Ireland bid to stage the world contest in nine years’ time. The Northern Ireland Executive and Irish Government are underpinning the joint bid to secure rugby’s global showpiece. World Rugby expects the 2023 hosts to be selected in 2017, leaving Ireland quick off the mark in acclaiming their intentions. “This is an exciting announcement that further underscores the enormous prestige, appeal and benefits of hosting Rugby World Cup for both unions and governments alike,” said a World Rugby spokesman in response to Ireland confirming their intentions so quickly. Ireland’s bid will be for sole staging of the tournament, and will not include any help from the likes of the Welsh or Scottish Rugby Union. Dublin’s Aviva Stadium, Ulster’s Kingspan ground at Ravenhill and Limerick’s Thomond Park will form the centrepiece venues. Ireland’s bid will also draw upon a host of Gaelic football stadia, with the 82,300-capacity Croke Park in Dublin at the forefront of that collaboration. Political administrations in Ireland’s north and south have given the bid the green light after a 10-month preliminary assessment exercise. Irish premier Taoiseach Enda Kenny, Stormont’s First Minister Peter Robinson and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness joined IRFU boss Browne to announce the bid in Armagh on Friday. England will host next year’s World Cup before the tournament descends on Japan in 2019, with World Rugby making good on long-held promises to grow the game beyond traditional heartlands. South Africa staged one of the most memorable tournaments in 1995, the hosts holding off New Zealand to claim glory under the jubilant and politically-poignant scenes of Nelson Mandela proudly sporting a Springboks shirt. New Zealand held the inaugural 1987 tournament, repeating hosting duties in 2011, while England will become the second nation to claim the honour twice, with 2015 following 1991. World Rugby could well aim to send the 2023 tournament back to a traditional rugby hotbed, after the 2019 shift to Japan: and that would leave South Africa strong contenders. The rugby-mad nation received a huge infrastructure boost for the FIFA football World Cup staged in 2010, so would argue much of the preparation work is already in place. Rugby’s rapid rise in America was cemented by New Zealand’s decision to face the US Eagles at Chicago’s Soldier Field en route to their November European tour. Chief executive Philip Browne said the IRFU and two Irish governments will expect to commit £100million to underwrite the possibility of staging the tournament. “It has been out there that South Africa has stated an interest, Italy has bid in the past and stated an interest again, while Argentina has stated interest too, and also the USA,” said Browne. “We are under no illusions it’s going to be competitive and we have to put our best foot forward. “At this stage we haven’t had to tender documents, we won’t get those for another 12 months or more. “For the Japan World Cup the guarantee tournament fee which has to be paid to Rugby World Cup is £96million. “One assumes we are going to have to pay at least that, probably more.” Governing body World Rugby will not officially launch the bidding process for Rugby World Cup 2023 host status until next year, and have not even finalised a timeline for applications. Ireland are the first nation to launch a bid for the 2023 tournament, but must now await further instruction from World Rugby on when to make any official tender.
NEW ORLEANS >> Through the hot streaks and erratic slumps, Nick Young hardly ever seemed hesitant to shoot the basketball.But as he competed in the 3-point contest during All-Star weekend on Saturday at Smoothie King Center, Young soon encountered “first-time jitters” before falling out of the first round with a final score of 18. After he missed his first money ball on the first rack, Young said he “started thinking too much” before missing four out of five shots on the second rack. Despite making three out of five shots on the money back rack at the top of the key, Young contended he “should’ve stuck with my plan” to save the money-ball rack for the right corner. Though Young has shot a career-high 41.3 percent from 3-point range this season through suffocating defenses, he found the task of making open 3-pointers in 60 seconds more difficult.“It’s fun, but there’s a lot more pressure than people notice,” Young said. “You’re out there by yourself. The world is watching.” That left Young refusing initially to talk to his son because “I didn’t want to see the disappointment.” That also left Young determined to return to the NBA’s 3-point shooting contest in hopes to win at Staples Center. “I’ll be back. I’ll get the first one out the way,” Young said. “I got to come back. I didn’t have a chance to celebrate. They need me back.”Still, Young said he “had a blast” during All-Star weekend with his family. He also kept his sense of humor after tying for fourth place with Golden State’s Klay Thompson and finishing behind Houston’s Eric Gordon, Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving, Charlotte’s Kemba Walker.Young argued he and Thompson are on equal footing as outside shooters since they tied. Young jokingly said he “should’ve never listened” to teammate Jordan Clarkson for putting the money-ball rack at the top of the key. He also chimed in on Irving’s contention that the Earth is flat, saying, “I think the world could be — it just never ends.”Young also said he had shoot poorly out of an apparent way to conserve energy in subsequent rounds. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “They tricked me and said the first four advanced. I didn’t know it was top three,” Young said. “So I thought I was good.”Young also turned serious on what he hopes the Lakers (19-39) accomplish following the All-Star break.“Energy and playing together. We got to set the tone and try to get to 30 wins,” Young said. “Try to get 30-plus wins. We tried to get 20 (wins) before All-Star. That didn’t work. But we got to set more goals.”That includes himself.“Finish off strong and stay in the starting lineup,” Young said. “Still be here.”Young will soon find out if he can accomplish that feat at the trade deadline on Thursday. It might provide a consolation prize after the man who calls himself “Swaggy P” suddenly lost his mojo.“I was a little nervous, a little bit,” Young said. “Time went faster than I thought. It happens.”