Abbey offers £100,000 to charities in Glasgow AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis Howard Lake | 28 August 2004 | News Over the next three months, Abbey will be donating an additional £100,000 to organisations in the Glasgow area whose applications fit with the financial services organisation’s new charitable priorities.Abbey is looking for funding applications of between £5,000 and £20,000, with the aim of making a positive impact on the local community. Charities have until 30th October 2004 to apply for funding. Decisions on applications will be made in November and the successful applicants will be announced shortly afterwards. Advertisement Abbey’s charitable priorities aim to support disadvantaged people through:local regeneration which encourages cross-community partnerships;education and training; andfinancial advice which helps people to manage their moneyAlan Eagle, Manager of Abbey’s Charitable Trust, is looking forward to receiving applications from a wide range of charitable organisations. “This is a fantastic opportunity for charities working in Glasgow to receive funding for community regeneration projects”, he said. “The Trust has already given over £480,000 to projects in Glasgow since 1999, so we are thrilled to be able to offer increased opportunities through the Community Programme.”Charities who wish to apply for funding should apply direct to Abbey’sCharitable Trust at PO Box 911, Milton Keynes MK9 1AD, call the Trust’shelpline on 0870 608 0104 or visit Abbey’s Web site. 34 total views, 1 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.
In Antique, the local govern unitsthat made such declaration were San Jose, Anini-y, Barbaza, Belison, Caluya,Culasi, Hamtic, Libertad, Pandan, Patnongon, San Remigio, Sebaste, Sibalom, Tibiao,Tobias Fornier, Bugasong, Lauan-an, and Valderrama. “What they are doing is cowardice,”said Army Captain Cenon Pancito III, the 3ID spokesperson. The other barangay councils wereCuartero, Capiz (Putian, Mahunod-hunod, San Antonio, Carataya) and Calinog,Iloilo (Binulosan). In Iloilo, these were themunicipalities of Maasin, Janiuay, Igbaras, Bingawan, and Miag-ao, and IloiloCity. “We are publicly denouncing the rebelsand warning them to stop recruiting students. They are not welcome in our town.What we want is peace, and we want an end to the armed conflict,” said Mayor He appealed to the people to “take abold stance against the NPA.” The most recent of these barangaycouncils was that of Barangay Igtuble in Tubungan, Iloilo. An estimated 30 heavily armed men setof fire three heavy equipment of F & T Construction, contractor of aP2-million road project in Barangay Luyang, Sibalom, Antique, on Nov. 15. “The equipment that the rebelsattacked were not the military’s and those were not in any way involved in thearmed conflict so why burn them. The NPA is in reality sabotaging governmentefforts to improve people’s lives,” said Pancito. They identified themselves as NPArebels to the road project foreman and a laborer who were staying in thebunkhouse before pouring gasoline on the three heavy equipment (road roller,hydraulic excavator and road grader) So far, according to Pancito, 22municipalities and a city in Panay Island have declared the NPA persona nongrata. The arson would result to delays inthe completion of the road, he added. On Nov. 14 the local government ofBingawan, Iloilo rallied its constituents into signing a peace covenantsupporting the anti-insurgency campaign of the Armed Forces of the Philippinesand Philippine Nationa Police (PNP) and declared rebels as persona-non-grata. Barangay councils, too, were declaringthe rebels persona non grata, said Pancito. “If they really want a fight, theyshould face us squarely, not destroy construction equipment beneficial to thecommunity,” said Pancito. “We expect more towns and villages doto the same,” said Pancito. “We strongly condemn this terroristicact of the NPA. The victims here are not only the project contractor butordinary citizens of Sibalom and adjacent towns who stand to benefit from theroad project,” said Pancito. The signing of covenant wasparticipated in by students and youths, barangay officials and other sectors. ILOILO City – The Philippine Army’s3rd Infantry Division (3ID) has thrown a challenge to the New People’s Army(NPA) in Panay Island – face government troops instead of harming unarmedcivilians. The peace covenant also denounced NPAatrocities. The rebels recently torched aconstruction company’s heavy equipment in Antique province. Mark Palabrica./PN