Bushfires burned a fifth of Australia’s forest: Study

first_imgTopics : Australia’s wildfires have destroyed more than a fifth of the country’s forests, making the blazes “globally unprecedented” following a years-long drought linked to climate change, researchers said Monday.Climate scientists are currently examining data from the disaster, which destroyed swathes of southeastern Australia, to determine to what extent they can be attributed to rising temperatures. In a special edition of the journal Nature Climate Change, Australian researchers examined several other aspects of the blazes, including investigations into their extent and possible causes.  Boer said his study almost certainly underestimates the extent of forest loss as the island state of Tasmania was not covered in the data.Australia’s annual average forest loss to wild fires is typically well below 2 percent.- Droughts linked to sea temperature -Another study published Monday looked at the conditions that made the fires so damaging — a years-long dry spell in Australia’s Murray-Darling Basin.Droughts create more fuel for wildfires and make it harder for forests to recover after each blaze. Andrew King, from the University of Melbourne, and colleagues looked at a phenomenon known as the Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD), which has a direct effect on rainfall levels in Australia and elsewhere. Since 2017 much of Australia has experienced widespread drought, something the study attributed to a relative lack of negative IOD events — when there are warmer than normal sea surface temperatures in the east Indian Ocean with cooler waters in the west.These events tend to shift weather patterns and typically bring greater rainfall to southeast Australia, and are made less frequent as global sea temperatures warm. King and the team examined rainfall statistics and found that the winter of 2016 saw extremely heavy precipitation and a corresponding negative IOD event.Since then, the Murray-Darling Basin has experienced 12 consecutive seasons with below-average rainfall, the longest period on record since 1900.”With climate change there have been projections that there will be more positive IOD events and fewer negative IOD events,” King told AFP. “This would mean that we’d expect more dry seasons in Australia and possibly worse droughts.”Boer said that climate change was all but certain to make Australia more prone to wildfires and urged the government to strengthen fire readiness measures and “take urgent and effective action on climate change.”center_img One study showed that between September 2019 and January 2020 around 5.8 million hectares of broadleaf forest were burned in New South Wales and Victoria. This accounts for roughly 21 percent of the nation’s forested area, making this fire season proportionately the most devastating on record. “Halfway through Spring 2019 we realised that a very large part of the eastern Australian forest could be burned in this single season,” Matthias Boer, from the Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment at Western Sydney University, Penrith, told AFP. “The shock came from realising that this season was off the charts globally in terms of the percentage of the continental section of a forest biome that burned.”last_img read more

Raul Sanllehi salvaged Arsenal’s move for Celtic defender Kieran Tierney after deal looked dead

first_imgAdvertisement Raul Sanllehi salvaged Arsenal’s move for Celtic defender Kieran Tierney after deal looked dead Raul Sanllehi got the deal over the line (Picture: Getty Images)Tierney is set to complete his medical at the Emirates on Thursday ahead of completing the £25m move agreed between Sanllehi and Lawwell.AdvertisementAdvertisementThe transfer is yet to be confirmed and the Scot has suffered numerous injuries in recent seasons, which will keep Gunners fans sweating, but the club still expects the move to go through.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe 22-year-old looks set to be one of two new defenders for Arsenal on transfer deadline day, with David Luiz also arriving at the club.Unlike for Tierney, there was no build up at all to a deal for the Brazilian, with the centre-back becoming available on Wednesday and an £8m likely to go through on the final day of the window.That is likely to complete the signings that the Gunners make this summer, although there is still the possibility of out-goings, with Shkodran Mustafi available for transfer and Everton pursuing an interest in Alex Iwobi after having an initial bid of £30m turned down.Sanllehi has largely been credited for an unexpectedly successful summer in the transfer market after initial reports suggested the Gunners would struggle to make signings due to a severely limited budget.However, Luiz and Tierney will be added to the deals already done for Nicolas Pepe, Dani Ceballos, Gabriel Martinelli and William Saliba.MORE: Arsenal pass up chance to sign Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona after new offerMORE: Arsenal taking the ‘lazy option’ with ‘woeful’ David Luiz signing, says Stan Collymore Metro Sport ReporterThursday 8 Aug 2019 1:32 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Advertisement The Kieran Tierney deal is finally going to be completed (Picture: Getty Images)Kieran Tierney’s imminent move from Celtic to Arsenal was rescued by the Gunners’ head of football at the eleventh hour with just one phone call.The Scotland international has been linked with a move to the Emirates for years and there has been much haggling between the clubs over his value this summer.After multiple bids were rejected by the Scottish champions it looked like a deal was dead, before Raul Sanllehi stepped in on Wednesday, just 24 hours before transfer deadline day.The BBC’s David Ornstein reported: ‘Contact re-established this [Wednesday] morning via Raul Sanllehi call to [Celtic chief executive] Peter Lawwell & deal swiftly concluded.’ADVERTISEMENT Commentlast_img read more

FL man realizes he can’t drive stick shift during carjacking

first_imgAn Orlando man is behind bars after realizing he could not drive stick shift mid-carjacking.Police say 25-year-old Jaelyn Alexander was in the process of fleeing the scene with elderly man’s car before he ‘automatically’ realized he could not drive a stick.Alexander then stole another car and fled the scene.He was arrested near the scene, shortly after.Alexander is facing multiple charges including carjacking, battery on a person over the age of 65, and grand theft.last_img

Another lackluster 3rd period leads to 6-3 loss to Northwestern

first_img Published on October 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm Contact Gaurav: [email protected] Facebook Twitter Google+ Just 37 seconds into the third period, forward Emma Polaski was sent to the box for interference. Then, Kristen Siermachesky joined her in the box a minute later. Going into the second intermission, Syracuse was down a goal. But the moment the third period began, Northeastern started pulling away. Gifted with a five-on-three powerplay, Northeastern punished Syracuse with a quick goal. The Orange were left chasing shadows for the rest of the game and were handed their fifth straight loss.“The third period was pretty ugly hockey,” said SU head coach Paul Flanagan. “It was like watching paint dry.”In front of a packed crowd for alumni weekend, Syracuse (0-5) faced off against No. 3 Northeastern (3-0) for the second time in two days. In the first two periods, both the Huskies and Orange went back-and-forth, leading to a 4-3 Northeastern advantage heading into the final period. But in the third, the Huskies extended their lead as the Orange scrambled to keep players out of the penalty box.Flanagan likened his team’s play in the third period to figure skaters — his team was slow and a step behind Northeastern for the entire third period. “We have to condition ourselves to play back-to-back games,” Flanagan said.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIts sluggishness played a part in the seven penalties committed by the Orange. Most were minor stick penalties, like hooking and tripping, leading Syracuse to playing a large chunk of the game with four players on the ice. “You really don’t want to get into that type of play,” said Flanagan. “It’s like a broken record so far this year.”With just under five minutes remaining in the second period, the Huskies scored on a power play and took a 4-3 lead into the second intermission. Sophomore Lauren Bellefontaine tied the game 3-3 in the second, but succumbed along with her teammates to the Huskies third period onslaught. “I think once we got down 4-3 we just stopped skating and we stopped working,” said Bellefontaine. “If we just kept it up I think it would’ve been a totally different game.”This season, the Orange haven’t been overpowered by ranked opponents in the early stages of games. Then, fatigue kicks in, Syracuse commits penalties and struggles to keep pace.Against Clarkson, Boston College, and Northeastern — all top programs out of their conference — Syracuse couldn’t keep up with them at the end of their matchups. They start with penalties, and a lack of energy from load management lead to the close losses, and Syracuse’s early losing streak. The scoring started early in Saturday’s game as SU jumped out to a 1-0 lead with a goal just three minutes into the game. Five minutes later, Northeastern had the lead after scoring two goals in three minutes. Halfway through the first, the Orange tied it at two. However, with just two minutes remaining in the first period, Chloe Aurard scored on the powerplay to give the Huskies the lead going into the intermission.Friday’s game between the two was scoreless until the third period where Northeastern scored the game-winner in the final minutes. Saturday afternoon, the game was again tied. But the high scoring affair to start became one sided, and Syracuse couldn’t hang with the speed and skill of the Huskies in the third period.“The difference from yesterday and today is just the momentum,” said Eastwood. “We had a lot of energy yesterday and once they got up on us in the third period we lost that energy and we lost our legs.”Flanagan said SU needs to find a balance this season or it’ll continue to face the cumulative effect of its problems. Despite the never ending cycle of a season that the players face, Flanagan believes that his team can find a way to get it together.“At the end of the day we’re better for it, so you can’t get disappointed right now,” said Flanagan. “You look at our record you want to get down, but we turn our focus to next Friday night.” Commentslast_img read more

Clear Lake council to discuss early retirement incentive program

first_imgCLEAR LAKE — Clear Lake’s City Council tonight will discuss establishing an early retirement incentive program. The voluntary program would assist eligible city employees who wish to retire but cannot do so because of medical insurance coverage concerns. To be eligible, participants would have to be current full-time or full-time equivalent employees who are age 56 or older and have not less than 25 years of continuous employment with the city. Those who would participate in the program at age 60 would remain up to five years or when they become Medicare eligible on the city’s group health insurance plan under a single policy. Employees can choose to continue family health coverage by paying the difference between the cost of the family plan and the city’s contribution toward a single coverage premium. An employee who retires prior to age 60 can utilize post-retirement accumulated paid leave conversion credit to pay health insurance premiums. If that would be insufficient to cover the cost of health insurance to the age of 60, the employee would be responsible for the full premium until age 60, at which point the premium for a single policy would be covered by the city.Eligible employees must retire from city employment between August 1st and September 30th of this year, with notice of intent to retire having to be filed prior to July 17th. The Clear Lake City Council meets tonight at 6 o’clock at City Hall.last_img read more