Whether they were running to meet a personal goal, return to top physical condition, benefit local charities or spurred by other motivation, this year’s 1,300 Holy Half participants ensured the event’s continued success and recognition as a valued Notre Dame tradition. Low temperatures on Saturday posed the possibility of having to cancel the ninth-annual event, but by race time, runners received the go ahead from safety crews monitoring the event. Junior Connor Reider, running in his first Holy Half, commented favorably on the weather conditions at the start of the race. “When we started the race, the weather was beautiful. Once we were done, though, we were quickly reminded it was only 30 degrees outside,” Reider said. “The freezing wind combined with being soaked and not running around made a long warm shower even more appealing.” After volunteering for the event last year, Reider said he immediately added the event to his Notre Dame bucket list. While maintaining motivation often arose as a challenge throughout the training process and on race day, Reider said he held no regrets with his race experience. “I am definitely glad that I ran it and proud of my efforts. All my goals were met,” Reider said. “Plus, not everyone can say they have run a half-marathon.” Months of planning gave student programmers the assurance of successful race day operations. Junior Maria Murphy, lead programmer for the Holy Half, expressed complete satisfaction with the event. “The 2013 Holy Half was fantastic,” she said. “We had no major injuries, decent weather, lots of compliments on the course and overall experience, and a bunch of great volunteers who helped make the race a success. The race exceeded all of my expectations.” The official fundraising numbers have yet to be calculated, but Murphy estimated the event raised $35,000 for the Women’s Care Center and the Family Justice Center of St. Joseph’s County. Senior Ashley Markowski, director of the Student Union Board (SUB), echoed Murphy’s enthusiasm for the success of the event on race day. While responsibilities for Holy Half operations have shifted between groups during previous years, Markowski said SUB assumed command of programming and running the half marathon this year and into the future. “By placing the Holy Half under SUB, it gives it a permanent home under one organization,” she said. “This will hopefully make it more successful in future years as we will be able to make changes each year, based on the previous year’s experience.” Comments from community members and initial fundraising numbers for Saturday’s event certainly point towards future success for the Holy Half under its new leadership,” Murphy said. “In its nine years, the Holy Half Marathon has become a great Notre Dame tradition. I think the race has grown so much since its start because of the challenge the race itself presents to runners and the community-focused nature of the event,” Murphy said. “Runners can challenge themselves physically and, at the same time, help those in their community. The race is about so much more than running.”
GulfSlope Energy, Texas South Energy and another, unnamed, partner have decided to extend the term of the letter of intent (LOI) for joint drilling and development of oil & gas prospects in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.GulfSlope Energy said on Wednesday that the trio extended the LOI until November 30, 2017, or such later time as they mutually agree.The two companies signed the initial LOI with an undisclosed firm, only described as a ‘large international oil and gas company,’ in mid-September.Under the principal commercial terms of the farm-out, the unnamed partner will drill a minimum of three exploratory wells with the option to participate in additional three-well phases on the same basis.The partner will earn a 75% working interest in each prospect by paying 90% of the exploratory costs and making a cash payment of $1.5 million to be split between GulfSlope and Texas South on a 73%/27% basis.According to GulfSlope, it will be the initial operator of record and will retain a 20% working interest in the subsalt prospects included in the first phase while Texas South will retain a 5% working interested for the subsalt prospects included in the first phase.Upon achieving certain milestones, the partner will have the right to purchase up to 20% of the common stock in GulfSlope and Texas South.
The 23-year-old flight attendant whohad a travel history to Wuhan City, China on Jan. 21 was isolated fordeveloping cough after three days. The crew was quarantined in a private roomsince Jan. 30, authorities said. BORACAY – Authorities are closelymonitoring two persons at the Dr. Rafael S. Tumbokon Memorial Hospital inKalibo, Aklan for exhibiting “flu-like symptoms” amid growing fears from the 2019novel coronavirus (2019 nCoV). “They had no flu-like symptoms andthey will be closely monitored also in China,” he added. Four of them had close contacts with a“coronavirus patient” in Hong Kong.(Witha report from Akean Forum/PN) Dr. Cornelio Cuachon Jr. of theProvincial Health Office in Aklan (PHO-Aklan) said seaports and airports in theprovince were on heightened alert against the nCoV. Meanwhile, a flight attendant fromPalawan with travel history in Taiwan and Shanghai, China, denied she wasquarantined in the Aklan provincial hospital, saying she was in the hospital toget her medical clearance on Jan. 31. “Magiging drastic ang pagbaba ngnumero ng flights at arrivals ng visitors natin in Kalibo airport. Lahatng flights to China are suspended until further notice,” he added. Cuachon said PHO-Aklan is closelycoordinating with the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines and theBureau of Quarantine to monitor travelers from other countries. Meanwhile, a 17-year-old Chinese maletourist was also brought to the Aklan provincial hospital after experiencing“flu-like symptoms,” they added. Authorities are closely monitoring two persons at the Dr. Rafael S. Tumbokon Memorial Hospital in Kalibo, Aklan for exhibiting “flu-like symptoms” amid growing fears from the 2019 novel coronavirus. AKEAN FORUM They boarded China Eastern Airlinesaround 2:40 p.m. at the Kalibo International Airport on a four-hour flight toChengdu, China. Monserate said the cancellation ofaround 20 commercial flights was a precautionary measure to help prevent thespread of the coronavirus, which has killed hundreds of people in mainlandChina. Last Jan. 28, three foreigners weredischarged from the Aklan provincial hospital after the results of their testsfor 2019 nCoV came out negative. Cuachon said the tourists were fit totravel after they secured medical clearances from the attending doctors. Kalibo airport manager Engr. EusebioMonserate Jr. said passengers flying to and from Shanghai, Tianjin, Fuzhou,Chengdu, Peking, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Changsha, and Wuhan in China on Feb. 1 wereaffected by the indefinite cancellation of flights. The foreigners, who were spendingtheir vacation in Boracay Island, Malay, Aklan were tracked down by healthauthorities. On the otherhand, 11 Chinese touristsunder medical observation in Kalibo, Aklan have returned to China on Jan. 31.