Two days ago Megan Campbell was on her way to Melbourne to watch the world’s best tennis players battle it out for the Australian Open. Today Megan marched, cloaked in green and gold in the Opening Ceremony of the Youth World Cup and will begin her campaign for World Cup glory as part of the Australian 18’s Women’s side this afternoon. How life can change in two days. Before this tournament, Megan had only played at National Touch League level in the Sydney Scorpions Womens Open team. She gained selection in the Womens 18’s and 20’s squads for the Youth World Cup and for NSW in the State of Origin 2004 series. Prior to her round one game today Megan had only two 45- minute training sessions with her team, but says fitting in with them on and off the field has not been a problem. “All the girls were really welcoming and really nice about me coming into the team late, they were all glad it wasn’t them,” said Megan. Even though Megan has entered the team late, she is still very proud to be playing touch at this level and representing her country. “It’s such an honor to play for Australia, I’m having heaps of fun, and it’s great to be able to interact with Touch players from all around the world,” said Megan. Andrew Knox was at Barbarians training in Western Australia just about to pass the ball when his phone rang….and it wasn’t his mum. The voice on the end of the line was Australia’s Elite programs Director, Cathy Gray asking him if he could fly to the Sunshine Coast to represent Australia in the Men’s 20’s teams at the Youth World Cup. Barbarians training and NTL’s quickly became the last thing on Andrew’s mind as he rushed home to organise time off work and flights to the Sunshine Coast. “I was pretty disappointed to not make the team originally, so I was stoked when I got the call that they needed me in the team,” said Andrew. This is Andrew’s debut at an international tournament, the highest level he has previously played being Men’s Opens for Barbarians at NTL’s. Fitting into his team on and off the field has not been a problem for Andrew either. “They’re all top blokes so it was easy to come into the team, but it did take a while to learn all their names in one day,” said Andrew. Andrew is proud to represent his country at the 2005 Youth World Cup, and feels extra privileged to be in an Australian team. “It’s great, it’s definitely not something that happens everyday,” said Andrew. By Lisa Plummer
Brittney Cade Pritchard, breast cancer survivor and her husband, Mike Dirnt of the legendary band Green Day will be honored for their courageous example as a couple sharing their personal cancer journey in order to help others at Tower Cancer Research Foundation’s (Tower) 5th Annual Ante Up for a Cancer Free Generation Celebrity Poker Tournament and Casino Night on Saturday, September 8, 2018.The tournament will take place at the Sofitel Hotel, Riviera 31, 8555 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048. Dozens of stars from TV, sports, music and film will also join in to bet big to support talented young cancer researchers and change the future of cancer. Red carpet arrivals begin at 6:00 PM PST.In May 2014, Mike Dirnt took to Facebook to publicly announce that his wife, Brittney Cade Pritchard, was being treated for breast cancer. Brittney and Mike went on to document their cancer journey, which included chemotherapy and nine surgeries, via Brittney’s – @batmansmom — and Mike’s – @mike_dossxx — Instagram pages. Through social media, Brittney and Mike courageously discussed every step along the way, posting about the treatments, the hair loss and other side effects, and everything in between with tremendous dignity, grace and mettle. By openly sharing their family’s very personal journey with the public, Brittney and Mike eased the burden of so many other individuals and families facing cancer, proving that we are not alone in our challenges, that we share so much as a human family grappling with this terrible disease, and that there is hope. Today, Brittney is in full remission.Joining in to honor Brittney and Mike will be Green Day’s Tre Cool and his wife Sara Rose Wright, Lee Rocker of The Stray Cats and his wife Deborah Drucker, Frank Ferrer of Guns ’N Roses, celebrity fashion stylist Joey Tierney, actress Christa B. Allen (Revenge), artist Brian Viveros and many more friends. The event has attracted the support of numerous celebrities who are expected to attend including (in alphabetical order by first name):AJ Buckley (CSI: NY, Seal Team 6); AJ Mclean (Backstreet Boys); Alan Bersten (Dancing with the Stars); Arianne Zucker (Days of Our Lives); Beau Casper Smart (Dirty Dancing, The Perfect Match); Billy Burke (Twilight); Camryn Manheim (The Practice); Cheick Kongo (MMA Fighter); Chuck Liddell (UFC Champion); David Alan Grier (Comedian, The Carmichael Show, In Living Color); Danny Zuker (Writer – Modern Family); Dule Hill (Suits); Elex Michaelson (Anchor, Good Day, L.A. on Fox 11); Eric Nenninger (One Day at a Time) & Angel Parker (Lab Rats); Erik Michael (Otown); Gilles Marini (Sex and the City, Switched at Birth); Joanna Krupa (Supermodel, Actress); Katie Cleary (Model, Activist); Kim Glass (Former Olympian); La La Kent (Vanderpump Rules); Omar Benson Miller (Ballers); Peter MacKenzie (Blackish); Randall Emmett (Producer – 2 Guns, Lone Survivor, Silence); Sam Hunt (Unbroken: Path to Redemption); Shanna Moakler (VH1 Hollywood Exes); Shawn Christian (Days of Our Lives); Tiffany Michelle (Poker Professional, Amazing Race); Tito Ortiz (MMA/UFC Champion); Vanessa Marcil (Las Vegas).Cancer Free Generation (CFG) is the young leadership division of Tower. CFG seeks to identify, among their peers in the Southern California region, visionary and innovative doctors, medical professionals and researchers and enable them to discover and implement new ideas and techniques to conquer cancer. Additionally, CFG’s efforts support young people and their families who have been impacted by cancer, so that they may approach life with renewed strength and optimism. With this dual approach, CFG’s goal is to help ensure that the next generation becomes the first cancer free generation. CFG’s executive committee consists of young professionals working in a variety of fields including finance, law, real estate, entertainment, and medicine. Many members of CFG’s leadership are, themselves, young cancer survivors. Their common vision is the desire to build a more inspired community via connecting interesting and passionate young people who make a difference in the world and who want to change the future of cancer.Many generous sponsors are supporting the tournament this year, including Oakland Coffee; Emmett Furla Films; Herzog, Yuhas, Ehrlich & Ardell; Cathy Titus Realty; FusionStorm; Skadden and Skydance Media. Among the top prizes are: Private poker lessons with Poker Legend Daniel Negreanu with a stay in the Palms Casino Resort fantasy penthouse suite in Las Vegas; A Five-Night Stay at the Ritz Carlton Waikiki; and A Three-Night Stay at the Hilton Los Cabos.Tickets may be purchased at www.towercancer.org or by calling 310.299.8477.
If schools are to be named after a person, the School District requires that they need to have been deceased for at least 5 years and also need to be distinct from other school names.The School Board said that when selecting new school names, it will be sensitive to cultural and social diversity, and that the names have good taste and are capable of standing the test of time.Two years ago, the School District chose to name what was then the city’s newest school for Alaska Highway News founder Margaret ‘Ma’ Murray after taking submissions from residents.Final naming decisions will be determined by the consensus of SD60’s Board of trustees.Residents can make their submissions via email to email@example.com until November 30th at noon. School Board members can also be sent naming submissions directly. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – School District #60 is asking to residents to start submitting their ideas of what they think the new elementary school under construction near the Fort St. John Hospital should be called.In a post on its website, the School District says it has a number of criteria that it is asking residents to adhere when submitting their proposed names.School District #60’s Naming Protocol states that new schools can be named after either the geographic areas and/or communities they serve, or persons who have been recognized for their historic, cultural, or social significance to the North Peace.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Two students from the Energetic Learning Campus (ELC) are going to host a mini music clinic at Margaret Ma Murray Community School.Aurora Fredericks and Jay-Cee Siemens as part of their school’s community project wanted to make a positive impact on the community.Fredericks and Siemens decided to host a mini music clinic at Ma Murray for grades 4-5 students from all schools in the Fort St. John school district on Saturday, June 8th.The student team will teach how to play the recorder, by playing games and playing fun songs will help teach the young students to learn notes. Participants will learn to play the recorder, learning notes and a few songs.The event runs from 1 pm -5 pm and you are required to RSVP to attend the event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate told a Delhi court on Thursday that it has no objection if Rajeev Saxena, an alleged middleman, is allowed to turn approver in the AgustaWestland money laundering case. The probe agency told Special Judge Arvind Kumar that if Saxena turns approver it would be very useful for the ED. Saxena, who has sought to become an approver in the case had on March 6 recorded his statement during in-chamber proceedings after which the court sent the copies of his statement to the special judge hearing the case. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity! He was earlier granted bail by the court on medical grounds after the perusal of reports submitted by AIIMS. The court posted the matter for consideration on March 25. Saxena, director at two Dubai-based firms — UHY Saxena and Matrix Holdings — is one of the accused named in the charge sheet filed by ED in the Rs 3,600 crore AgustaWestland deal scam. Christian Michel, former AgustaWestland and Finmeccanica directors Giuseppe Orsi and Bruno Spagnolini, former Air Force chief SP Tyagi and Saxena’s wife Shivani have also been named by the agency in the charge sheet.
New Delhi: Sterlite Power Friday said it has signed an agreement for Pampa transmission project in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, entailing an investment of Rs 1,394.79 crore. “The agreement is for batch 13, won at energy transmission auction held by ANEEL ( Brazilian Electricity Regulatory Agency),” Sterlite Power said in a statement. Completion of the project is expected in March 2023, and signing of the pact represents an important milestone in the company’s evolution, it added. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalThe company however said it will ensure ahead of schedule delivery just like other projects in India. The project includes construction of three energy transmission lines totalling 316 km, two substations and 1,544 MVA transformation capacity, with annual allowed revenue of 74.72 million Brazilian real ( about Rs 133.98 crore) and an investment of 777.8 million Brazilian real (about Rs 1,394.79 crore). “Given the strong contractual framework, including long concession tenures (30 years) and inflation-protected revenues (which help lower the forex risk), the Brazil market presents us with a clear vision to implement projects in a time bound manner. We hope to replicate our successes in India in Brazil too,” said Ved Mani Tiwari, CEO – Global Infrastructure Business, Sterlite Power. Sterlite Power develops power transmission infrastructure and has projects exceeding 12,500 km in circuits and 20,500 MVA in India and Brazil.
Cairo- Egyptian objections are delaying formation of a committee to implement expert recommendations on an Ethiopian dam project, which Cairo fears could diminish its water supply, Ethiopia’s water minister said Tuesday.At a one-day meeting in Khartoum, the water ministers of Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia agreed to form the panel, Alemayehu Tegenu told reporters.“But we didn’t agree about the composition of this committee,” he said. “We have differences with Egypt.”The Ethiopian minister declined to elaborate on why there was disagreement over the committee’s membership but said the three sides would meet again in Khartoum on December 8.Ethiopia began diverting the Blue Nile in May to build the 6,000 MW Grand Renaissance Dam, which will be Africa’s largest when completed in 2017.An international panel has issued a report outlining the dam’s impact on water levels.The report has not been made public, but Ethiopia has said it confirms that the impact on water levels is minimal.Cairo had sought more studies about the dam’s impact on its water supply, which is almost entirely dependent on the Nile.Egypt believes its “historic rights” to the Nile are guaranteed by two treaties from 1929 and 1959 which allow it 87 percent of the Nile’s flow and give it veto power over upstream projects.But a new deal signed in 2010 by other Nile Basin countries, including Ethiopia, allows them to work on river projects without Cairo’s prior agreement.Sudan, along with Egypt, has not signed the new Nile Basin deal.Sudan too relies on Nile resources but has said it does not expect to be affected by the Grand Renaissance project.
Sao Paulo- Three people died Wednesday following an accident on the site of the stadium in Sao Paulo that will host the opening match of next year’s World Cup, Brazilian television reported.Reporters at the scene reported a crane fell across part of the metallic structure at the Arena Corinthians stadium, still under construction, bringing part of the stand crashing to the ground.
Rabat – US secretary of state John Kerry welcomed, on Friday in Rabat, Morocco’s initiatives to uphold human rights in Sahara.“The Secretary welcomed the recent actions and initiatives taken by Morocco to continue to protect and promote human rights in the territory (Sahara),” said a joint statement issued after the 2nd USA-Morocco strategic dialogue, which was co-chaired by Kerry and foreign minister Salaheddine Mezouar.The US secretary of state underlined the growing and important role of the National Council for Human Rights. Washington and Rabat affirmed their shared commitment to the improvement of the lives of the people of the Sahara.
Freshman right side hitter Taylor Sandbothe (10) blocks the ball during a match against Dabrowa Sept. 4 at St. John Arena. OSU won, 3-2.Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editorThe No. 13 Ohio State women’s volleyball team is set to open Big Ten play this weekend against closely-ranked opponents.The undefeated Buckeyes (12-0) are scheduled to play No. 10 Michigan (10-1) at 8 p.m. Friday and No. 15 Michigan State (11-1) Sunday at 2 p.m..The Buckeyes’ performances in those first 12 matches pleased coach Geoff Carlston, but he said he’s looking for more as the squad heads into the Big Ten season.“It’s been fun,” he said. “We knew coming into the season that we’re going to have to be pretty patient because there’s going to be a pretty big learning curve.”OSU has received major contributions from three freshmen — right side hitter Taylor Sandbothe, outside hitter Kylie Randall and defensive specialist Valeria León.Carlston said he likes what the younger players have done, but said the veterans have stepped up as well.“We have talented freshmen, but we have great leadership above them,” Carlston said.Carlston added that some younger players like sophomore middle blocker Andrea Kacsits will have to play an even bigger role since junior middle blocker Anna Faul tore her ACL over the weekend.The team has been successful early in the season because of how it has come together, even more so than in previous years, junior outside hitter Erin Sekinger said.“The chemistry on the floor is like no other,” Sekinger said. “Everybody just clicks with one another.”Carlston said this year’s group has had no problem focusing on each match, even though the roster is young.“It sounds cliché, but we really have put a huge emphasis on one opponent at a time, one match at a time,” he said.Finishing the non-conference schedule unscathed is an accomplishment for any team, senior outside hitter Kaitlyn Leary said. However, the weekend ahead of the Buckeyes marks the beginning of “the next chapter.”“(In) the Big Ten, obviously every single game we play is a challenge, so we’re just preparing this week and working hard,” Leary said.As far as the matchup against Michigan is concerned, Sekinger said some players are going to be extra motivated once the whistle blows.“I’m an Ohio kid, so I go more crazy for Michigan just because it’s a big rivalry,” Sekinger said.The Wolverines have just one loss on the season, coming against then-No. 16 ranked Florida State, who the Buckeyes played and beat at the Seminole Invitational.Freshman setter Maggie Heim, who has been limited this season by a hamstring injury, said her team will give Michigan a fight as long as the players keep up their effort.“If we come out with the energy we did against Florida State and just play really solid, I think we’ll have a really good shot,” Heim said. “We’ll just have to come out with more energy than (Michigan).”Following this weekend, the Buckeyes are scheduled to travel to Indiana for matchups against Purdue Oct. 4 in West Lafayette and Indiana in Bloomington Oct. 5.