Modi announces ₹500 crore as immediate relief for flood-hit Bihar

first_imgPrime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday conducted an aerial survey of flood-affected districts of Bihar and announced a package of ₹500 crore as immediate relief to the state. He also declared that ₹2 lakh each would be given to the kin of those who have died in the floods, and that a Central team would soon visit the affected areas to assess the damage. Chief Minister Nitish Kumar accompanied Mr. Modi during the survey.Maximum damageAfter the survey — he flew over the districts of Purnea, Kishanganj, Katihar and Araria — Mr. Modi held a meeting with Mr. Kumar, Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi and top state officials at the Chunapur aerodrome. He was told that the flood had caused maximum damage to the Seemanchal (border) areas and the state water resource department has suffered the maximum loss due to breach of embankments and waterways for irrigation.Mr. Modi said that the Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry would take appropriate action for the repair of the damaged roads and other infrastructure. The marooned areas of Bihar as seen from the Prime Minister’s aircraft during his aerial survey on August 26, 2017. Photo: @PMOIndia   Detailed reportThe PMO statement also referred to Prime Minister’s recent talks with his Nepal counterpart Sher Bahadur Deuba during which it was decided that a detailed project report would be prepared at the earliest on the Saptkoshi Dam and Sunkoshi storage-cum-diversion scheme. Both nations would also work on flood control in the border areas which will benefit the region, the statement added further.As many as 21 districts of Bihar have been inundated by the flood waters, which affected 1.67 crore people, with the death toll mounting to 418. The state government has opened hundreds of relief camps and community kitchens for the flood-hit people. Several teams of the National Disaster Response Force, SDRF and the Army have been pressed into service for relief and rescue operations.last_img read more

Linda Giambrone US broadcaster NBC has hired forme

first_imgLinda GiambroneUS broadcaster NBC has hired former Endemol Shine North America unscripted production chief Linda Giambrone.She has been named executive VP of production for NBC Entertainment and Universal Television Alternative Studio (UTAS), which launched earlier this year.She was most recently EVP and head of unscripted production at Endemol Shine North America (ESNA), but left soon after Endemol and Shine Group merged at the end of 2015. Rob Day has since replaced her there.Her new role will see oversee all aspects of alternative programming production. UTAS is currently producing NBC series such as Better Late Than Never, Hollywood Game Night, The Wall and new shit World of Dance.Giambrone, a former BBC Worldwide Productions exec, has operated in unscripted production for two decades. She has worked on series such as Fox’s MasterChef, NBC’s The Biggest Loser and The Island, and ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.She has also worked on various international productions while at ESNA predecessor Shine America“The fact that Linda is joining our team at this pivotal point in Universal Television Alternative’s growth is a huge coup for us,” said Ahr.“A studio’s value is in being a trusted brand, and that is built on its people’s ability to innovate, problem solve, and deliver at the highest level. Linda is someone who will ensure our execution is unparalleled as we continue to expand and position ourselves as a global leader.”last_img read more