The decision to dissolve the group comes a month after it was announced that company president Scott Schulman would be stepping down and that Maria Rodale was returning to a more active role running the company. Rodale Grow, the custom content agency at Rodale, was shut down last week, sources tell Folio:. The decision is surprising given the resources publishers in general have put behind their marketing services divisions. It’s unclear whether Rodale plans to relaunch some kind of marketing services division or shift the business to the brand level, but there doesn’t appear to be any formal plans going forward. The remaining active clients, including Johns Hopkins, Sodexo and Whole Foods, were notified that same week that they’d need to take their business to a new firm. The source says Rodale Grow’s business had been going in the wrong direction for at least a couple years and that new business development had all but dried up, although there were plans being put into place to turn that around. A spokesperson provided this statement: “As we continue to transform from publisher to healthy living company, we made a strategic decision to focus on our core business and new areas of growth.” At the Content Council’s Pearl Awards this month, Rodale Grow took home three awards: a gold, two silvers and a bronze. Initial word of the shutdown was passed to group executives on Monday, November 9. By the following Wednesday, at least six staffers from the business and marketing side of the operation were let go, according to sources. Although one source says there were likely more cuts, but couldn’t say exactly how many due to the overlapping nature of responsibilities on the content and creative side.
Employees of Snapdeal, an Indian online retailer, sort out delivery packages inside their company fulfilment centre in Mumbai October 22, 2014.Reuters fileE-commerce firm Snapdeal is reportedly on a layoff spree across its business verticals — logistics, digital payments and e-commerce. The company has apparently initiated the process of laying off about 600 people, even as its recent acquisition FreeCharge’s CEO Govind Rajan has quit.Read: Flipkart planning to raise up to $1.5 billion from Google, PayPal, Microsoft, Tencent: ReportThe admission, so to speak, came in a statement from Snapdeal, which counts SoftBank, eBay, Kalaari Capital, Nexus Venture Partners, Alibaba, BlackRock and Temasek as its investors. The portal is owned by Jasper Infotech Private Ltd. and has about 8,000 employees.”On our journey towards becoming India’s first profitable e-commerce company in two years, it is important that we continue to drive efficiency across all parts of our business, which enables us to pass on the value to our consumers and sellers. We have realigned our resources and teams to further these goals and drive high-quality business growth,” the CNBC-TV18 quoted a Snapdeal spokesperson as saying.Govind Rajan put in his papers on Tuesday and the management has accepted it, according to a report in the Economic Times.Snapdeal’s acquisitions include digital payments business FreeCharge, Shopo, eSportsBuy, Grabbon, Doozton, Smartprix, Exclusively.in, UniCommerce, RupeePower, LetsGoMo, Fashiate and Reduce Data, according to Tracxn, a portal that tracks start-ups.Its rivals are Amazon and Flipkart, apart from other smaller players.Snapdeal was co-founded by Kunal Bahl and Rohit Bansal. In a recent interview to Reuters, Bahl had said that he hopes SoftBank-backed Snapdeal will turn profitable in two years. Snapdeal was valued at $6.5 billion last year. Jasper reported net loss of Rs 1,319 crore on total sales of Rs 2,960 crore in 2015-16. Kunal Bahl, CEO of India’s e-commerce firm Snapdeal, speaks during an interview with Reuters in Mumbai, India, February 6, 2017.Reuters file
Share prices of IT stocks such as TCS, Infosys, Wipro, HCL Technologies, Tech Mahindra and Mindtree were trading with little change from their previous close, on Tuesday, amid yet another buzz of layoffs, this time at Capgemini. Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) was in the news for laying off employees and earlier, it was Wipro that reportedly “sacked” many employees.On Tuesday, at around 10 am, TCS was up 0.60 percent at Rs 2,356, Wipro was flat at Rs 503, Infosys was up 0.33 percent at Rs 948, Tech Mahindra was up 0.49 percent at Rs 423 and Mindtree was flat at Rs 503.Read: TCS, Infosys, Wipro go slow on hiring laneThe BSE Information Technology Index was up 0.44 percent as against the Sensex’s 0.06 percent gain at around 10.06 am.Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) was reportedly looking at layoff about 6,000 employees in India in the context of increasing hiring in the US. Capgemini is also reportedly going the CTS way, though the company denied large-scale layoffs. “The figures reported in the article published today – including the reference to Igate – are unfounded. We have not announced any lay off plan,” the company said in a statement.”Each year our employees are evaluated based on strict performance criteria in an objective process, consistent with industry norms, to ensure we are aligned with our customer needs, business priorities, and the overall industry evolution. This leads naturally to a varying number of employees transitioning out of the organization in any given year,” Capgemini added.In the fourth quarter (Q4) ended March 2017, TCS — India’s largest IT services exporter — added 8,726 employees, followed by Wipro at 1,305 (IT services) while Infosys ended up adding just 601 employees, on a net basis.
This 2011 photo provided by Wilmot Chayee shows Thomas Eric Duncan at a wedding in Ghana. Duncan, who became the first patient diagnosed in the U.S with Ebola, has been kept in isolation at a hospital since Sunday, Sept. 28, 2014. He was listed in serious but stable condition. (AP Photo/Wilmot Chayee)DALLAS (AP) — Four members of a family the U.S. Ebola patient was staying with were confined to their Texas home under armed guard Thursday as the circle of people possibly exposed to the virus widened, while Liberian authorities said they would prosecute the man for allegedly lying on an airport questionnaire.The unusual confinement order was imposed after the family failed to comply with a request not to leave their apartment, according to Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins.Texas State Health Commissioner David Lakey said the order would help ensure the four can be closely watched, including checking them for fevers over the next three weeks.“We didn’t have the confidence we would have been able to monitor them the way that we needed to,” he said.The family will not be allowed to receive visitors, officials said.The case has raised questions about whether a disease that has killed 3,300 people in West Africa could spread in the United States. U.S. health officials say they remain confident they can keep it in check.A woman who lives in the apartment, Louise Troh, said she has been quarantined with her 13-year-old son and two nephews.“Who wants to be locked up?” she said in an interview with The Associated Press.he Ivy Apartment complex is guarded by Vickery Meadow patrol, Thursday, Oct. 2, 2014, in Dallas. The complex is where Thomas Eric Duncan, the Ebola patient who traveled from Liberia to Dallas last week, was staying. (AP Photo/The Dallas Morning News, Nathan Hunsinger)Troh said she was waiting for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to collect a bag of the bed sheets and towels Thomas Eric Duncan used.A hazardous material crew arrived to decontaminate the apartment Thursday evening but did not have the required permits to clean the home and remove hazardous waste, city spokesman Richard Hill said. He said the crew, contracted by the county and state, will return to complete the job on Friday.The family must also be relocated before the cleanup can begin, Hill said. He had no information on where the family will go.Visitors from the American Red Cross were seen Thursday bringing food to the apartment door. The North Texas Food Bank said it sent three days of cereal, tuna, produce and other supplies.Outside, the management of the 300-unit complex in northeast Dallas was passing out flyers about Ebola to residents. Private security guards and local sheriff’s deputies blocked off the entrance to dozens of reporters.Apartment manager Sally Nuran said employees were power-washing sidewalks and scrubbing common areas, though she believed Duncan had not visited most of the complex in his short time there.Elsewhere, Texas health officials expanded their efforts to contain the virus, reaching out to as many as 100 people who may have had direct contact with Duncan or someone close to him.None of the people is showing symptoms, but public-health officials have educated them about Ebola and told them to notify medical workers if they begin to feel ill, Erikka Neroes, a spokeswoman for the Dallas County Health and Human Services agency, said.The at-risk group includes 12 to 18 people who came in direct contact with the infected man, including an ambulance crew and a handful of schoolchildren, she said.“This is a big spider web” of people involved, Neroes said.The virus that causes Ebola is not airborne and can only be spread through close contact with someone who has symptoms. People must come into direct contact with the patient’s bodily fluids — blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen — and those fluids must have an entry point.Ebola dried on surfaces can survive for several hours, according to the CDC.For example, people might get infected by handling soiled clothing or bed sheets and then touching their nose, mouth or eyes, or if they are not wearing gloves while doing those tasks and have a cut on their hand.“If you sit next to someone on the bus, you’re not exposed,” CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden said.Neighbors in the Liberian capital believe Duncan become infected when he helped bundle a sick pregnant neighbor into a taxi a few weeks ago and set off with her to find treatment. However, it was not clear whether he had learned of the woman’s diagnosis before traveling.Nonetheless, Liberian authorities announced plans to prosecute Duncan, accusing him of lying about not having any contact with an infected person.Duncan answered questions about his health and activities before leaving for Dallas. Among the questions asked on the Sept. 19 form, obtained by The Associated Press, one asked whether Duncan had cared for an Ebola patient or touched the body of anyone who had died in an area affected by Ebola. He answered no to all the questions.“We expect people to do the honorable thing,” said Binyah Kesselly, chairman of the board of directors of the Liberia Airport Authority in Monrovia.Duncan arrived in Dallas on Sept. 20 and fell ill a few days later. His sister, Mai Wureh, identified him as the infected man in an interview with The Associated Press.A Dallas emergency room sent Duncan home last week, even though he told a nurse that he had been in disease-ravaged West Africa, and raising questions as to whether the decision to release him may have put others at risk of exposure to Ebola.In a statement emailed late Thursday, the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital said that it followed communicable disease protocols by also asking Duncan if he had come into contact with anyone who was ill, to which he replied he had not. At that point his symptoms were a temperature of 100.1F, two days of abdominal pain, a headache and decreased urination, the hospital said. He said he had no nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, and based on that information, the hospital decided to release him.He returned to the facility two days layer and has been kept in isolation at the hospital since Sunday. He was listed Thursday in serious but stable condition.Liberia is one of the three countries hit hardest in the epidemic, along with Sierra Leone and Guinea.___Associated Press writers Krista Larson and Jonathan Paye-Layleh in Monrovia, Liberia; Paul J. Weber in Dallas; Emily Schmall in Fort Worth; and Lauran Neergaard in Washington contributed to this report.
Kolkata: Victoria Memorial is making a complete overhaul of its son et lumiere, which is expected to kick off during winters, the time when there is a huge footfall of both national and international tourists at the Memorial.”The analogue show format will be passe and there will be a sea change with the 3D projection mapping system. The Memorial’s marble edifice will serve as the virtual screen to narrate Kolkata’s story – a journey that will encapsulate nearly four centuries, beginning from Job Charnock’s arrival in Calcutta to contemporary Kolkata. The characters will seemingly speak on their own, narrating the 300 years history of Kolkata,” curator of VM, Jayanta Sengupta said. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsThere will be no commentary as it has been in the traditional light and sound show.The light and sound show at VM had started way back in the year 1991 and was held on a screen on the eastern lawn of Victoria Memorial Hall for over two decades. The script was by writer Sunil Gangopadhyay, the narration was provided by Soumitra Chatterjee in Bengali and Dhritiman Chattopadhyay in English. There will be no such narration in the present format and some noted historians associated with the research on old Kolkata will pen down the Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedscreenplay.There will also be the inclusion of Hindi language in the new format and the duration of the show will be slightly less than the old show that was stalled for more than a year. Earlier, the show was of 40 minutes. The present one will be between 30 to 35 minutes. “There is an average footfall of 36 lakh visitors a year at the VM and many of them coming from other Indian states could not properly understand Bengali and English. So, we have decided to introduce Hindi,” a senior official said. The VM has plans to have more seating arrangement for the spectators in this new format.It may be mentioned that the VM authorities since last week has increased the timing of the Memorial by an hour. It is now open till 6 pm and is probably the only museum under the aegis of Ministry of Culture that is open beyond 5 pm.
Kolkata: The Kolkata Municipal Corporation will set up a 10 MGD water treatment plant to resolve the drinking water crisis in some pockets of the Tollygunge-Jadavpur belt, said Mayor Firhad Hakim on Wednesday.The decision was taken in the meeting of the Members, Mayor-in-Council and presided over by the Mayor. Hakim said some pockets under the jurisdiction Boroughs X, XI and XII are reeling under water scarcity. Drinking water is supplied in these areas by deep tubewells. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataScarcity of drinking water in these areas has been a long-standing issue. Jadavpur, Behala and Garden Reach, which were under municipalities, came under KMC in 1985. The Left Front controlled board could not solve the problem. Former Mayor Sovan Chatterjee, who was the MMiC (Water) between 2000 and 2005, had tried to address the problem. Hakim said water will be taken from the Garden Reach water lifting station to the new water treatment plant, that will come up on 3 acres of land at Garia Dhalai bridge through underground pipes that will pass through Circular Garden Reach Road, Koila Depot Road and Remount Road situated in the Port Area. Hakim said once the water treatment station becomes functional, the long-standing problem in the pockets will be resolved. The KMC will prepare the detailed project report (DPR) and the state government will provide the fund.