Taking a dig at Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s statement made before the 2014 Lok Sabha poll in Varanasi that he had come there on the invitation of (river) Ganga mata, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday said “Ganga maiya” now has been asking where was her son.Mr Kumar also said the condition of the river had become so deplorable that “he gets emotional over it.”“When I visited Varanasi recently people there were saying river Ganga has been asking for her son who earlier had declared that he had come there only on the invitation of Ganga mata…why he (PM Modi) has stopped saying so…the condition of river Ganga has become so deplorable that I get emotional seeing it,” the Chief Minister said while addressing an international conference on “Incessant Ganga” here.“Close Farraka”Mr Kumar said he had demanded the closure of the Farakka barrage in West Bengal “as it has been the root cause of siltation causing floods every year in Bihar.”“Several river experts have expressed a similar opinion but nothing has been done yet,” he said.“It is because of the Farakka barrage that Bihar gets flooded every year…there is a danger to Bihar due to the barrage,” Magsaysay award winner and water conservationist Rajendra Singh said.He said the Central government project of Namami Gange has been benefiting only contractors.Another river expert and economist, Bharat Jhunjhunwala, said the Central government raises the issue of cows but not of Ganga.Problem of silt depositBihar Water Resources Minister Rajiv Ranjan Singh said the conference would discuss in detail the problem of siltation in the river bed.The experts and delegates would look into all aspects of human intervention, including the proposed construction of barrage for inland waterways, which have resulted in the deterioration of the Ganga, an official of the state Water Resource Department said.
The Defence Ministry on Saturday denied reports of an Army jawan being abducted by militants from his home in central Kashmir’s Budgam district, saying he is “safe”.The family of Mohammad Yaseen, who is posted with the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry (JAKLI) Regiment, had on Friday informed the police that some people came to their house at Qazipora Chadoora in Budgam and took him away.Mr. Yaseen was on leave. However, a Defence spokesperson on Saturday said the reports of the abduction of the jawan were incorrect.“Clarification. Media reports of the abduction of a serving Army soldier on leave from Qazipora, Chadoora, Budgam are incorrect. Individual is safe. Speculations may please be avoided,” the spokesperson said in a tweet.An Army official said they are trying to ascertain where the jawan had been on Friday night which prompted his family to approach the police.
The new rules of Indian Premier League which will be applied from next year have left Kolkata Knight Riders owner Shah Rukh Khan “a bit confused” and the Bollywood superstar said it would have been “fair for everyone” if all the players are put up for auction in November.”New IPL rules a bit confusing. Two new teams added (good). All players should go into pool to make it fair for everyone. Simple & straight,” Shah Rukh wrote on his twitter page.With the inclusion of two new teams in the IPL — Sahara Pune Warriors and Kochi team, the IPL Governing Council proposed a revised structure but it has not gone down too well with some of the franchise owners voicing their concerns publicly.The new rules state that the 10 teams will be divided into two groups and there would be 74 matches in the next three IPL seasons.The eight original franchises will be allowed to retain four players, including a foreigner. Besides the four players, the rest of the squad would be selected through open bidding.It has also been made mandatory for the players retained to be amongst the registered players for the 2010 season. The fee of the players retained would be decided after mutual agreement between the stakeholders.The salary cap of the franchisees has also been raised to USD 9 million. But if any franchisee retains all the four players, it will have USD 4.5 million per year to spend on other players.The new rules have limited the number of players to be 30 for a squad.advertisement