New IPL rules a bit confusing, says KKR owner Shahrukh Khan

first_imgThe new rules of Indian Premier League which will be applied from next year have left Kolkata Knight Riders owner Shah Rukh Khan “a bit confused” and the Bollywood superstar said it would have been “fair for everyone” if all the players are put up for auction in November.”New IPL rules a bit confusing. Two new teams added (good). All players should go into pool to make it fair for everyone. Simple & straight,” Shah Rukh wrote on his twitter page.With the inclusion of two new teams in the IPL — Sahara Pune Warriors and Kochi team, the IPL Governing Council proposed a revised structure but it has not gone down too well with some of the franchise owners voicing their concerns publicly.The new rules state that the 10 teams will be divided into two groups and there would be 74 matches in the next three IPL seasons.The eight original franchises will be allowed to retain four players, including a foreigner. Besides the four players, the rest of the squad would be selected through open bidding.It has also been made mandatory for the players retained to be amongst the registered players for the 2010 season. The fee of the players retained would be decided after mutual agreement between the stakeholders.The salary cap of the franchisees has also been raised to USD 9 million. But if any franchisee retains all the four players, it will have USD 4.5 million per year to spend on other players.The new rules have limited the number of players to be 30 for a squad.advertisementlast_img read more

Moeen Ali commits to Bangladesh tour despite security concerns

first_imgEngland’s Moeen Ali has publicly committed to joining the touring party to Bangladesh should he be selected, despite security concerns ahead of the five-week tour. (Also Read: England go from ODI flops to record-breakers)One-day captain Eoin Morgan acknowledged on Friday he was undecided about whether he would participate over security worries following the attack by gunmen on a cafe in Dhaka in July in which 22 people were killed.An English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) delegation recently visited Bangladesh to conduct a risk assessment and announced on August 25 that the tour would go ahead, and while the touring squad has not been named, it remains to be seen whether other players will follow Moeen’s lead.”If selected, I’ll definitely go,” Moeen told journalists on Saturday. “I’m pretty happy with everything and really looking forward to it.”Everyone’s different and has their own views on things,” he added, “and as a team, you back others’ decisions.”It’s up to the individual. There’s no pressure on anyone, it’s up to that person and how he feels.”England are due to arrive in Bangladesh on September 30 for three one-day internationals and two Tests.Australia pulled out of their tour of Bangladesh in 2015 over security concerns and did not compete in the under-19 World Cup in the south Asian country earlier this season for the same reason.’NOT SAFE ANYWHERE'”My view is you’re not safe anywhere these days,” Worcestershire’s Moeen said. “I think you can be anywhere and still not be safe. I totally understand, and I back every decision people make.”advertisementEngland wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow has also expressed confidence in the ECB’s advice but stopped short of committing to the tour.”I’ve not made a 100 percent decision,” he told journalists on Friday. “The world at the moment is not necessarily the safest place, that’s in England, that’s in Australia, South Africa, in Bangladesh.”You’ve got to ask questions because, if you don’t, you don’t have peace of mind.”last_img read more

Vista Shipping to Finance New Tankers with USD 111 Mn Loan

first_imgzoomIllustration; Source: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license Vista Shipping, a joint venture between Hafnia and CSSC (Hong Kong) Shipping, has secured a USD 111 million loan to finance four newbuildings.The term loan facility, that would finance four new LR1 tankers being built at Guangzhou Shipyard International, was agreed with a banking consortium consisting of KfW IPEX-Bank, Societe Generale Hong Kong Branch and OCBC Singapore.The parties would each participate with 33% as lenders at the term loan facility and have reached financial close.The 12-year post-delivery financing profits from Sinosure cover and is secured by first-ranking ship mortgages over the vessels as well as joint and several guarantees from Hafnia and CSSC (Hong Kong) Shipping.last_img read more

Neverbefore seen images beamed live from the bottom of the Gulf of

first_imgCHETICAMP, N.S. – A scientific expedition in the Gulf of St. Lawrence is revealing never-before seen images of odd and valuable marine life.Federal researchers have joined with the non-profit group Oceana Canada to use a $6-million robotic submersible, known as ROPOS, to explore the seabed, and live-stream sometimes spectacular high-definition video to the internet.“The Gulf of St. Lawrence has never been explored with the type of technology we have,” Oceana’s science director, Robert Rangeley, said in an interview Monday from Cheticamp, N.S., where the two-ship expedition was poised to begin another week of exploring the Gulf’s depths.“There’s hardly been any camera work at all.”Alexandra Cousteau, granddaughter of the famous French filmmaker and marine conservationist Jacques Cousteau, is part of the expedition and an adviser to Oceana, an international ocean conservation group based in Washington, D.C.“It’s such a thrill to be part of something that has never been done before,” Alexandra Cousteau said in a dockside interview.The recent deaths of at least 10 endangered North Atlantic right whales in the Gulf has focused international attention on the importance of the vast area.Cousteau said previous studies have typically relied on the use of underwater sleds that were dragged along the ocean floor and later hoisted to the surface for inspection by scientists.“What they got at the surface was broken,” she said. “They had no idea how the species were interacting. We’ve been able to see how that whole neighbourhood works.”In particular, Cousteau said the high-tech submersible — ROPOS stands for Remotely Operated Platform for Ocean Sciences — has recorded video images of large numbers of juvenile redfish seeking shelter amongst fields of sea pens, a type of bottom-dwelling coral that looks like old-fashioned pens made from fanciful feathers.Redfish, which are also known as ocean perch, are a commercially valuable species that have been on the decline for years. But the video suggests the species may be making a comeback, as some Gulf fishermen have already suggested.“If this is where the juveniles are finding shelter, then we need to protect that,” said Cousteau. “I think that’s something everybody can agree on.”Rangeley, a research scientist who used to work with World Wildlife Fund Canada and the Fisheries Department, said he and his colleagues have also spotted porbeagle sharks, right whales, cod, colourful sponges and large schools of sand lance, a herring-like fish that is a key source of food for whales and seabirds.“We saw massive schools of them for the longest time,” the marine biologist said. “We could hardly see through the lens of the ROPOS … It’s a pretty lively place, the Gulf of St. Lawrence.”At one point, the cameras captured the moment when a northern gannet, a large seabird known for its torpedo-like fishing skills, plunged into the water to feast on sand lance.“We’re also measuring stuff,” Rangeley said, adding that expedition scientists are taking samples for genetic and chemical analysis. “We’re not just taking pretty pictures. It’s a full-spectrum science effort.”The research is important because Canada has the world’s longest coastline. Spread across three oceans, it covers more than 243,00 kilometres. The federal government has committed to conserving 10 per cent of the country’s marine areas by 2020.The expedition started last week off the coast of Quebec’s Anticosti Island, and then moved to the American Bank, a submarine cliff lying off the eastern tip of Quebec’s Gaspe Peninsula. More exploration is expected this week off the west coast of Cape Breton.Oceana, established two years ago in Canada, was part of a similar expedition in the Gulf of Maine in June.The ROPOS submersible, which can dive to 5,000 metres, is being carried aboard the CCGS Martha L. Black, a Canadian Coast Guard light icebreaker. The submersible is owned by the Canadian Scientific Submersible Facility, based in North Saanich, B.C.— By Michael MacDonald in Halifaxlast_img read more

Google is expected to close its acquisition of Mot

first_imgGoogle is expected to close its acquisition of Motorola Mobility this week following the crossing of its last major hurdle, approval by the Chinese regulatory authorities.The Chinese authorities gave the US$12.5 billion (€9.8 billion) acquisition the green light on condition that Google continues to offer its Android operating system free of charge for the next five years.Google is known to be interested in acquiring Motorola’s extensive patent portfolio, particularly strong in the mobile devices area, which would position it better to challenge patent lawsuits from Apple, Microsoft and others.To allay fears on the part of other Android device manufacturers that the acquisition would mean Google competing directly with them in the hardware market, Google is expected to keep Motorola Mobility at arms length, operating as an independent unit. There has been speculation that Google could sell off the set-top box part of the business at a later date.last_img read more

Fox International Channels FIC has launched a ne

first_imgFox International Channels (FIC) has launched a new on-demand service, Fox Play, for pay TV subscribers in Poland. Polish operator Vectra will be the first to offer the service to its subscribers, allowing them to watch full series and shows from the Fox and Fox Comedy channels.Viewers able to access the service via the foxplay.pl website with smartphone and tablet apps for iOS and Android due to launch soon.last_img

John de Mol has consolidated his media assets inc

first_imgJohn de Mol has consolidated his media assets, including his Dutch commercial channels, under a new business called Talpa Network.John de MolThe company will comprise SBS6, Net5, Veronica and SBS9, online services Juke and Kijk, Sky Radio and Radio 10, and a new acquisition: e-commerce business Emesa.Endemol co-founder de Mol has also said there will be a increased investment in new programming, with overseas programme owners encouraged to test their shows on his services, in exchange for equity stakes in the formats.He cited Big Brother and The Voice, both of which he is credited for, as examples of how the model works.De Mol has tested various formats on SBS6 to varying degrees of success. He bought full control of the free TV network and its suite of sister channels from Finnish company Sanoma in April.In a speech yesterday, de Mol criticised the Dutch government for failing to protect local media interests and allowing overseas players such as Facebook and Google to dominate the advertising market.According to various local news outlets, he said: “The cabinet is watching passively while foreign media giants eat the Dutch cheese from our bread.”Earlier this month, the media production and distribution business de Mol founded after leaving Endemol, Talpa Media, announced it had terminated a four-year agreement with Talent International for rights to produce The Voice in China.“Consequently, all rights that were granted to Talent, including any right for Talent to produce The Voice of China, have immediately and fully reverted back to Talpa Media,” thecompany said in a statement earlier this month. “We have taken appropriate steps to ensure that there is no financial impact.”The pair had struck a co-development and production deal that gave Talent (also known asZhejiang Tangde) production rights for seasons 5-8 of The Voice of China in January 2016.That agreement came after Talpa ended a production agreement with Star Media, which had produced the first seasons of The Voice in China, and began legal proceedings over broadcast and ownership rights to season five.De Mol sold Talpa Media to UK broadcaster in 2015.last_img read more