Do it again: Mighty Mouse defends belt vs Cejudo at UFC 227

first_imgMOST READ Mighty Mouse loves the practice of mixed martial arts, and he thrives on the discipline necessary to hone his skills. But that’s just about all Johnson cares about in the MMA game — and that’s basically why one of the greatest fighters in the sport’s history isn’t even headlining the show at UFC 227 on Saturday night in Staples Center.During 11 consecutive title defenses of increasing brilliance, Johnson has become arguably the most tactically well-rounded and creative fighter ever to step inside a cage. But when asked if he is the greatest mixed martial artist in the sport’s history, Johnson dismisses the question with an arched eyebrow and tries to turn the discussion back to video games, his true passion.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“That kind of thing is all about hype and what other people think,” Johnson said. “I don’t really worry about it.”The 5-foot-3 Johnson’s disinterest in his legacy has been underlined by his steady refusal to move back up in weight from the 125-pound flyweight class to the 135-pound bantamweight division, where he fought earlier in his career. While he has hinted there’s a dollar figure that could change his mind, Johnson would rather keep embarrassing the world’s top flyweights instead of chasing a superfight with bantamweight champ T.J. Dillashaw or former champ Cody Garbrandt, who will meet in the main event at UFC 227 in another rematch. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal Dib quits after losing to Farmer in IBF super featherweight bout Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk LATEST STORIES “I don’t care,” Johnson said. “That’s not my goal. I’m just focused on Henry Cejudo.”Cejudo was knocked out by Johnson just 28 months ago in the first round of their much-hyped meeting, but the Olympic gold medalist freestyle wrestler is already back for another crack at the most unsolvable problem in MMA. Although Cejudo is only six months younger than Johnson, Cejudo started training in mixed martial arts in January 2013 — four months after Johnson won the UFC belt in his 19th professional fight.The reason for this rerun is twofold: Cejudo is a better, more experienced fighter now — and Johnson would rather grant a rematch to a flyweight than chase bigger bouts with bigger fighters.Nobody doubts Cejudo has improved in the two years since his loss to Johnson. He embarked on a worldwide quest to round out his game with trips to Brazil, Thailand and the Netherlands, and he has won his two fights in the interim against contenders Wilson Reis and Sergio Pettis.Yet even the Los Angeles-born Cejudo knows he’s a major underdog against Johnson in the UFC’s first show in three years at LA’s most prominent arena.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img FILE – Demetrious Johnson (r) battles Wilson Reis (l) during their Flyweight Championship bout on UFC Fight Night at the Sprint Center on April 15, 2017 in Kansas City, Missouri. Jamie Squire/Getty Images/AFPLOS ANGELES — Demetrious Johnson has been the UFC flyweight champion for the entire existence of the weight class, becoming the longest-reigning champion in the promotion’s 25-year history. He has won 13 consecutive bouts and cleaned out the 125-pound division so thoroughly that previously trounced opponents are getting second chances.Yet any discussion about Johnson’s place in the mythical pound-for-pound rankings or the annals of UFC history ends quickly, due to Johnson’s insistence that he couldn’t care less.ADVERTISEMENT “Even my fans might not think I can win, but I use all of that as motivation,” said Cejudo, who ended up flattened by Johnson’s blizzard of strikes in their first bout. “I burn it for fuel. Somebody has to dethrone him. There has to be a new story line. The baton has to be passed, and it’s my time.”One flickering reason for optimism exists for Cejudo: Johnson is coming back from the longest layoff of his 11-year professional career. Thanks to an injury, Mighty Mouse hasn’t fought since last October, when he submitted Ray Borg.Johnson dutifully fulfilled his promotional responsibilities this week in Los Angeles and then ducked back to his hotel room to play video games on his laptop. Although cordial to most reporters, Johnson has been actively antagonistic toward the media in general for years, repeatedly complaining about instances of what he sees as inaccurate coverage.Yet Johnson also has complained about his paychecks relative to other UFC champions, apparently failing to see the connection between his level of fame and the public’s interest in paying to watch his fights. Johnson wants the prizes without playing the game, oddly enough for a relentless gamer who can get advertising and subscription revenue from his streaming exploits.Perhaps Johnson sees the contradiction, but it doesn’t change the way he approaches his sport or his real life. He fights for self-improvement, and for money to support his wife and soon-to-be three children — and not for anyone else’s approval.“I’m not going to go out and buy a Rolex (after a fight),” Johnson said. “I’m going to buy video games and a new computer. That’s just who I am.” ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Peza offers relief to ecozone firms In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ View commentslast_img read more

Rite Aid’s warehouse crew rallies

first_imgLANCASTER — About 20 current and former Rite Aid employees were joined Friday by union organizers in protesting what they described as untenable working conditions and unfair labor practices. They gathered in front of a warehouse where they say they were forced to work in triple-digit temperatures. Their complaints are the basis of charges under investigation by the National Labor Relations Board, NLRB spokesman Tony Bisceglia confirmed. A spokeswoman for the International Longshore Warehouse Union, which represents the Rite Aid workers, said it has filed 49 separate charges against Rite Aid for acts committed by 14 managers at its Lancaster warehouse. The charges include unlawful termination of two union members, and threatening and disciplining others, the ILWU’s Marcy Rein said. Rite Aid employees testified before state lawmakers Wednesday that the company has failed to provide adequate cooling systems in its Lancaster warehouse, which it blames for a fatality last summer. Rite Aid spokeswoman Jody Cook said the accusations were “without merit.” She said a coroner’s report and the company’s own investigation determined that the employee’s death was not heat-related, nor was it caused by the company’s actions. Cook said that although not air-conditioned, Rite Aid distribution centers feature high-speed fans and swamp coolers, and are designed to meet or exceed regulatory codes. Rite Aid, she said, is committed to employee safety, and denied that the company intimidates union organizers. “We’re not surprised that former associates or union supporters would make false claims against the organization,” she said. Rite Aid employee Tim Patrick, who was among the protesters, accused the drug store chain of engaging in a pattern of “intimidation and threats.” He said a company executive told him his active union membership, which he said includes organizing workers, imperiled his employment status. Patrick said he was soon demoted from backup lead — a warehouse position equivalent to assistant manager — to a “Joe-Blow worker” for what he described as a minor infraction. “They said I violated company policy, but it was all about the union. I’ve been strong about the union since it started, and I’ve never been afraid to show it,” Patrick said. Warehouse employees say they work in temperatures that frequently exceed 100 degrees in the summer, and have been recorded as high as 119 degrees in certain rooms. They say the 1 million-square-foot plant on Avenue H has air conditioning in its business offices, cafeteria and break rooms — but not where they work. “It feels like you’re in a heater,” Rite Aid employee Faye Rollf said. — Gideon Rubin (661) 267-7802gideon.rubin@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more