Hoegh rethinks turning around, turns in IMCA Modified win at Bagby Memorial

first_imgThat’s when things turned around. Instead, he got back on the road, got to HO’T in time and won the Jack Bagby Memorial main event for IMCA Modifieds, earning both $1,000 and a berth of the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot.  It was also one of those nights that didn’t start out that way. Hoegh finished fourth and starting last in a heat race that ran caution-free, then drew the pole for the 20-lap feature. He led every time around the oval, taking the checkers ahead of two-time defending track champion Eric Tomlinson and Chris Morris. Jeffrey Abbey scored the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car victory and Sid Kiphen was the Smiley’s Racing Products Southern SportMod winner Friday at Heart O’ Texas. Brian Schoenbaum Jr. was first across the stripe in the Mach-1 Sport Compact feature. David Goode Jr. and former track champ Kevin Green completed the top five. Feature results – 1. Jeff Hoegh; 2. Eric Tomlinson; 3. Chris Morris; 4. David Goode Jr.; 5. Kevin Green; 6. Justin Radcliff; 7. Cody Daniel; 8. Mark Carrell; 9. David Goode Sr.; 10. Mike McCarthy; 11. Jerry Frydrych; 12. Brent Gilliam; 13. Evan Pardo; 14. Donald Banker; 15. Rob Slott; 16. Jason Kingrey. ELM MOTT, Texas (March 1) – Just 30 minutes into the 3-1/2 hour tow to Heart O’ Texas Speedway and already running late, Jeff Hoegh thought about turning around and starting his season another night.center_img Hoegh had to stop for fuel half an hour into the trip, then needed another half hour to fill up. He had already missed the draw when he pulled up to the pit gate and learned the wristbands were his unlucky red. Hoegh also won his first race last season, then went 27 starts and two days shy of a year before his next checkers Friday night.  “Being in front is the loneliest place. I gave the car what I had to and was able to drive away when I needed to,” Hoegh said. “We won two track championships in 2017, then traveled more last year. We did a lot of learning and experimenting,” said Hoegh, who ventured to Iowa for the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s and later in September to Arkansas for Race For Hope 74. “I’ve got a new car this year (a 2019 CAM Chassis) and have run practice laps a couple times. The car is comfortable and was working right.” Jeff Hoegh started his season with the $1,000 IMCA Modified feature win at Heart O’ Texas Speedway’s Jack Bagby Memorial lidlifter. The victory put Hoegh on the ballot for the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational. (Photo by Stacy Kolar, Southern Sass Photography) “Getting on the ballot is a pretty big deal for me. I’m glad we started off the year the way we have,” said Hoegh. “It was one of those nights when everything turned out good.” last_img read more

GOVERNMENT UNDER PRESSURE TO LAUNCH INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION INTO DONEGAL GARDA’S DEATH

first_imgTaoiseach Enda Kenny is under pressure to protect gardaiTAOISEACH Enda Kenny and Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald are under pressure from senior gardai to launch an independent investigation into the death of Ballyshannon Garda station sergeant Mick Galvin.Sgt Galvin took his own life last Thursday fearing he was going to be prosecuted; not knowing that an investigation into him by the Garda Ombudsman (GSOC) had concluded six days earlier and that he had been cleared of any wrongdoing.The Gavlin family say they have no confidence in a GSOC inquiry or any third party investigation overseen by GSOC. The Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (ASGI) say Michael Galvin had been ‘tortured’ by the investigation.The organisation’s solicitor was furious.Michael Hegarty said Mr Galvin’s life could have been spared had GSOC simply phoned him up to clarify his position but instead they chose to pursue him.He said: “Michael Galvin did nothing wrong – absolutely nothing, there is no criminal misbehaviour whatsoever. “He spent 10 weeks in dread that he would end up in jail or with a criminal conviction because of this investigation. That is the fact of the matter. Now he’s not with us anymore.“This investigation rose out of a referral by An Garda Siochana to GSOC.“There was no complaint ever made against Michael Galvin and that’s important.“Arising out of that, GSOC commenced an investigation on January 1, 2015.“It wasn’t until March 26 that Michael was informed of this investigation – he was informed by way of a telephone call. “He received no letter setting out that he was under investigation.“He came under criminal investigation because of that anomaly – that investigation was two parts. One part perverting course of justice and making a false and misleading statement.“Both allegations are untrue and now they’ve said there was no wrongdoing. Well, it’s too late.”Senator Marc MacSharry, who knew Mr Galvin, has written to Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald demanding an independent inquiry. “As a matter of urgency I would like you to initiate an independent inquiry into Mr Galvin’s death and any investigations either ongoing or completed in relation his performance in carrying out his duties. It is not appropriate to have either the Gardai or the Garda Ombudsman Commission carry out this investigation as I am certain you can appreciate,” he wrote in a letter last night.“Given the very tragic nature of Mr. Galvin’s death and the very disturbing reports on the front page of today’s Irish Independent I am certain that you agree that an immediate and thorough investigation be carried out into this situation including the nature of any investigation being carried out by GSOC.”He added: “Mr Galvins family, with 3 young children under 11 are understandably distraught. The communities of Ballyshannon, Manorhamilton and Sligo are in mourning and frankly angry at the loss of who in all essence was a pillar of the community here in the North West.“The very least the State owe the Galvin family is a full independent investigation to provide all the the answers and circumstances which surround their tragic loss.“I very much hope that you will publicly announce an investigation as outlined as quickly as possible.”GOVERNMENT UNDER PRESSURE TO LAUNCH INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION INTO DONEGAL GARDA’S DEATH was last modified: June 3rd, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BallyshannondeathEnda KennyinvestigationOMBUDSMANSgt Mick GalvinSUICIDElast_img read more

Las Vegas holds trade show crown

first_imgSource = e-Travel Blackboard: N.J Local creativity on new and existing trade shows has helped Sin City maintain its lead as the number one travel show destination, according to Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority’s Cynthia Guerrero.Speaking to e-Travel Blackboard at the destination’s Come Play showcase in Sydney last week, the Group’s sales executive explained that the city’s MICE appeal was based on its room inventory, venue space as well as its attraction supply.“We have the rooms to host, which is a benefit but it’s not only the room inventory, we have the venues – it’s a service that we can give,” she said.“As well, Las Vegas is great for attracting events because there’s so many things you can do – you can get caught up in gaming, attractions and shows.”Experiencing a 8.8 percent jump in convention attendance last year to up to 4.9 million, Ms Guerrero said the destination was always keen to build on its figures and was focusing on offering already established events a creative Las Vegas twist.“We try to see how we can do shows differently here – so we’ll bring international shows to the US,” she explained. “For example IMEX America is replicated but with a Vegas spin. “It’s like a hybrid project and it lets us get out there and think outside the box.”Ms Guerrero said she also expects the under construction viewing attraction, the Las Vegas High Roller to also play a role in drawing in convention attendance.Offering a view exceeds the height of the London Eye, the new attraction is expected to open by 2013 with pods holding up to 40 people. “It will revitalise the culture of the strip,” she concluded. Also speaking to e-Travel Blackboard last week, Nevada Commission on Tourism deputy director Larry Friedman said that the region’s EST was bringing in the travellers – particularly those eager to see Nevada’s quirkiest, loneliest and loveliest.last_img read more