The figures showed that in the past year, NHS hospitals treated 18,037 girls and 4,623 boys aged between 10 and 19 after they had deliberately harmed themselves — a rise of 11 per cent. During the same period, cases involving children between 10 and 14 rose from 4,008 to 5,192 — an increase of 30 per cent. Experts warned that cyberbullying on social networking websites had heaped misery on thousands of families, creating childhoods characterised by anxiety and loneliness. Lucie Russell, the director of campaigns at the Young Minds charity, said children were living in an “unprecedentedly toxic climate”, with a 24/7 online culture that they could not switch off. “Cyberbullying and ‘sexting’, bleak employment prospects and a society obsessed with body image are creating a negative environment around children and young people,” she added. The Telegraph 1 October 2013 More than 22,000 children and teenagers were treated in hospital for self-harming last year, according to official figures which experts said showed the “toxic” effects of social media and a society obsessed with body image.Charities said the statistics, which showed a 30 per cent rise in self-harming among 10 to 14-year-olds, were a “deeply worrying” reflection of the pressures on young people. Young people turned to self-harm as a coping mechanism to manage emotional distress and were too often dismissed as attention seekers, said experts.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10348593/Toxic-childhoods-blamed-for-22000-self-harm-cases.html
And another reunion is on the cards as Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claims Martinez is the favourite to sign striker Arouna Kone from the relegated club despite bids from two other sides. “Roberto has taken who he wants with him,” the Latics chairman told Press Association Sport. “That deal has been done and we have already filled the vacancies.” Whelan said there was no compensation involved as he regarded the settlement he received from Everton for Martinez, believed to be around £1.5million for the Spaniard’s final year of his contract, enough. “We wouldn’t even attempt to (get compensation) for staff who worked with Roberto as we got what was due to us for Roberto,” he added. Kone appears the next in line to join the migration to Goodison Park despite competition from elsewhere. “Three clubs have made offers for him – Everton is definitely one – as he had a clause in his contract that he could go if someone paid £5million,” Whelan added. “It is really up to him where he wants to go now and I think he will go to Everton.” However, Whelan is keen to hang on to his other key players – such as midfielder James McCarthy – to give Martinez’s successor Owen Coyle every chance of getting back in the Premier League. “We have always got interest in one or two lads but we have hopes of holding on to them,” said the Wigan chairman. “We have had people asking of course but we have had nothing serious on the table.” Press Association Assistant Graeme Jones, chief scout Kevin Reeves and goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara plus a member of the Latics’ medical staff have all followed the Spaniard to the Premier League club. Their arrival was made possible by the departure of Steve Round, Jimmy Lumsden and Chris Woods to Manchester United to link up again with former Toffees boss David Moyes. New Everton manager Roberto Martinez has been reunited with key members of his Wigan backroom staff after a deal was completed to take them to Goodison Park.
Entry India LLC, in association with the Consulate General of India, New York, launched its guide ‘Entry India’ on September 5, at the Indian Consulate in New York.More than 95 businesses, investors and trade professionals participated in the event which also hosted a panel discussion on ‘Doing Business in India’.Read it at News India Times Related Items