BNEF: Unsubsidized wind now competitive with gas in Minnesota

first_imgBNEF: Unsubsidized wind now competitive with gas in Minnesota FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Minneapolis Star-Tribune:The cost of deploying wind and solar energy continued to decline significantly in Minnesota last year, and wind — even without federal tax subsidies — may be the state’s cheapest source of new electricity.Those conclusions were included in a report released Monday by Bloomberg New Energy Finance, which annually surveys the U.S. power generation sector for the Business Council for Sustainable Energy, an industry-led group.The cost of new wind and solar power facilities in Minnesota fell by 16 percent and 23 percent respectively in 2018 over the previous year, the report found.The “levelized cost” of new, unsubsidized wind energy came in at $38 per megawatt hour (MWh), which takes into account the cost to build a power plant and its total power output, according to the Bloomberg analysis. Bloomberg didn’t have a state-by-state breakout of the levelized cost of natural gas. But wind in Minnesota is particularly cheap.“Minnesota has access to some of the best wind resources in the U.S.,” the Bloomberg report said. “As a result … new wind build in the state is likely already at parity with new combined-cycle natural gas plants even without incentives.”More: Cost of adding new wind, solar energy continues to fall in Minnesota, report sayslast_img read more

Submit Your Update

first_imgWe’d love to know how your business or organization is adapting and innovating in these trying times! Feel free to send us any information, news or updates that you think our readers should know about to updates@blueridgeoutdoors.com or feel free to leave a comment below. Updates will be posted at blueridgeoutdoors.com/covid-19-updates/ and shared periodically through our social media channels. These are unprecedented times and we understand that they are having a huge impact on all of our businesses. Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine would not be possible without your support, and so we thank you for sticking with us through this trying time.   #outsidewethrive Blue Ridge Outdoors Partners – as you can imagine, this is not how we expected to launch into our 25th anniversary year, but no one could have expected this.  last_img read more

Maurizio Sarri outlines Premier League title ambitions with Chelsea amid sacking rumours

first_imgAdvertisement Comment Maurizio Sarri outlines Premier League title ambitions with Chelsea amid sacking rumours Advertisementcenter_img Maurizio Sarri believes he could turn Chelsea into title contenders if given enough time (Getty Images)Maurizio Sarri is confident that he could turn Chelsea into Premier League title contenders within two years if he is allowed to continue his job at Stamford Bridge beyond the end of the season.Since the turn of the year, there has been constant speculation over the Italian’s future, particularly after he presided over 4-0 and 6-0 defeats to Bournemouth and Manchester City respectively in successive away games.Despite enjoying a positive start at Chelsea, Sarri’s tactics and style of play have been openly criticised by the club’s supporters and reports on Thursday claimed that he and his staff are already convinced that they will be sacked.AdvertisementAdvertisementHowever, Sarri, who signed a three-year contract with the club last summer, insists that he wants to stay and attempt to close the gap on this season’s runaway leaders Manchester City and Liverpool.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘The Premier League is wonderful and I want to remain in the Premier League. I want to remain at Chelsea, because the level is very, very high,’ Sarri said.‘The atmosphere in the stadiums is really fantastic. And so it’s a wonderful championship. I’d like to remain here. I am sure that, in two seasons, we will be able to close to them [Liverpool and Manchester City].‘But I am not sure that, in two seasons, we will be able to be better than them. When I arrived in Naples, Napoli were, in the table the season before, 24 points from Juventus.‘In the first season we arrived to nine points from Juventus, second season to six points, third season to four points. For us it was impossible to cover completely the gap, but at the end of the third season, we were very close to doing it.’Chelsea face a fight to finish in the top-four this season amid competition from Spurs, Arsenal and Manchester United, although they are through to the Europa League semi-finals where they will face Eintracht Frankfurt.More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors Metro Sport ReporterSunday 28 Apr 2019 10:39 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link501Shareslast_img read more

European firms pay more into UK DB schemes

first_img Country 2015 contributions The consultancy firm analysed 75 UK-based DB schemes attached to companies located in Denmark, France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, and Sweden. The schemes had aggregated liabilities of more than £100bn (€117.3bn), based on data up to 31 December 2015. Andrew Vaughan, partner at Barnett Waddingham, said: “These figures raise an interesting question as to why are European companies with UK final salary pensions paying proportionately more than their UK counterparts to fund deficits?“One possible explanation is that European headquartered companies have tended to adopt a more cautious approach globally to managing their pension obligations. It will be interesting to see how this pans out post-Brexit.”In 2015, the 75 companies contributed £1.6bn in total to their UK schemes, broken down as follows:  Scandinavia £117m European-headquartered companies are on track to close the deficits of their UK pension funds sooner than their British counterparts, according to Barnett Waddingham.Continental companies are paying an average of £5,700 (€6,682) per employee into schemes they sponsor in the UK, the consultancy firm found, versus £2,400 on average for FTSE350-listed companies.This meant European firms could close their accounting deficits “in about six years”, Barnett Waddingham said, “nearly a year ahead of the FTSE350”. This is despite the cost of operating defined benefit (DB) schemes making up a greater proportion of total staff costs for European companies.“While UK subsidiaries only contribute 6% of global revenue, they account for 30% of global DB pension obligations,” Barnett Waddingham added.   France £479mcenter_img  Netherlands £99m  Spain and Italy £530m  Germany £399mlast_img read more

More offshore platforms evacuated due to hurricane Harvey

first_imgOffshore oil and gas operators in the Gulf of Mexico have evacuated 105 offshore platforms in response to tropical storm Harvey.The U.S. Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) said that, based on data from offshore operator reports submitted at 18:30 CET on Sunday, personnel was evacuated from a total of 105 production platforms, 14.25 percent of the 737 manned platforms in the Gulf of Mexico.This is 19 platforms more compared to the Friday count.Further according to the BSEE, personnel was also evacuated from five non-DP rigs, which is 50 percent of the ten rigs of this type currently operating in the Gulf.One DP rig has moved off location out of the storm’s path as a precaution. As far as DP rigs go, there are 21 operating in the Gulf of Mexico.As part of the evacuation process, personnel activated the shut-in procedure on the platforms. This involves closing the sub-surface safety valves located below the surface of the ocean floor to prevent the release of oil or gas. According to the BSEE, the shut-in valves functioned 100 percent of the time during previous hurricane seasons.From operator reports, it is estimated that approximately 21.64 percent of the current oil production of 1,75 million barrels of oil per day in the Gulf of Mexico has been shut-in, which equates to 378,633 bopd.It is also estimated that approximately 25.71 percent of the natural gas production of 3,220 million cubic feet per day, or 827.89 million cubic feet per day in the Gulf of Mexico has been shut-in. The production percentages are calculated using information submitted by offshore operators in daily reports which are based on the amount of oil and gas the operator expected to produce that day.The shut-in production figures, therefore, are estimates, which BSEE compares to historical production reports to ensure the estimates follow a logical pattern.The BSEE added that the facilities would be inspected after the storm passes. Once all standard checks have been completed, production from undamaged facilities will be brought back on line immediately. Facilities sustaining damage may take longer to bring back on line.The number of evacuated platforms and rigs is increasing since the BSEE said on Friday that oil and gas companies evacuated workers from 86 production platforms and five rigs.Also, The National Hurricane Center said on Sunday that Harvey was producing catastrophic and life-threatening flooding and there are flash flood emergencies in effect for portions of southeastern Texas. NASA’s satellite imagery taken 12 hours apart revealed that Harvey remains almost stationary.American energy corporation ConocoPhillips said via social media that, due to severe weather conditions caused by hurricane Harvey, all of the company’s Houston-area offices would be closed on Monday and Tuesday, August 28 and 29.Oil major ExxonMobil decided on Friday to allocate $500,000 for contributions to regional Red Cross organizations along the U.S. Gulf Coast to assist with relief efforts in communities expected to be impacted by Harvey. The company also made provisions to ensure that emergency responders and other essential service providers requesting fuel are given priority.Offshore Energy Today Stafflast_img read more