Press Association “You have to accept the way it is and contrary to whether it breaks the rules or it doesn’t, it happens. “You are not going to prove it anyway. It is just one of the ways the football world works.” Allardyce believes while Reid may well “think he can do better” than West Ham, there is no reason to freeze the defender out of the team. “Why cut your nose off to spite your face? It doesn’t look like he is playing with his mind somewhere else to me, with the position we are in at the moment,” Allardyce said, who stressed there was no real need for the club to look to “cash in” on Reid during this month. The Irons boss continued: “What is it £1.8million a place (in the Premier League table)? So you might not be losing that (transfer fee) money actually and you have to balance it out. “It is not just the fact if somebody offers a certain amount of money you should grasp it because you are going to lose them for nothing in the summer and anyway whatever money we get won’t be enough to replace him in January.” Allardyce is not expecting a busy transfer window, but hopes his squad will be able to get through what is set to be a testing spell with players away at the African Nations Cup. West Ham are continuing to assess the extent of the back injury suffered by forward Diafra Sakho against West Brom, which could prevent him from being able to join up with Senegal. “Our major concern is making sure he is fit whenever he is fit,” Allardyce said. “If they (Senegal) want to come over here and assess him they can do, but you can’t really want him to fly all the way out there,” “If he has to go Senegal afterwards, then so be it, but it is not as if he is a major player for Senegal. He has only played 15 minutes.” “(With) what other managers are telling me it doesn’t bode well. Who knows? Only Winston and his agent can decide at the end,” said Allardyce. “But from what other people are telling me, what is going on in the world of football makes it difficult to think he is going to stay here.” Allardyce claims West Ham have put “a million offers” to Reid over the past year, but there has been no progress. As a free agent in the summer, the defender can, under FIFA transfer regulations, now talk to other sides – but as Allardyce was quick to stress “only foreign clubs”. The West Ham manager continued: “But can we prove it? “We have had them (regulations) for a long, long time. If you can prove that they (clubs) have broken the rules, then they are in serious trouble aren’t they? But you can’t prove it these days. You hear rumours, this, that and the other. “It might have nothing to do with the two clubs directly, it could be between two agents, so how can you relate that (back) to the football clubs? You can’t, so it can all get done that way.” Allardyce added: “If he is not going to sign a contract (here), I (would) find it highly unlikely if it is not already verbally done. The 26-year-old New Zealand international is out of contract with the Irons in the summer, and has so far failed to agree new terms at Upton Park. Allardyce, who takes his side to Everton in the third round of the FA Cup on Tuesday night, now feels the player has decided to further his career elsewhere, with the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United having been touted as possible destinations. West Ham manager Sam Allardyce believes defender Winston Reid has probably already agreed to play somewhere else next season.
Ryan Palmer felt more nerves than usual when he stood over his first tee shot Thursday in the Charles Schwab Challenge at Colonial — the first official shot on the PGA Tour in 90 days.Even more bizarre was making a 10-foot birdie putt on the second hole with no one around to cheer. The closest thing to a crowd was a few people who watched from behind hedges and a chain fence from a nearby street.Golf is the second major sport in the U.S., behind motor sports, to resume a schedule shut down by the coronavirus pandemic. Among the safety measures are coronavirus tests for every player, caddie and essential personnel. Of the 487 tests at Colonial, the results were all negative.The PGA marked its return to golf with a moment of silence at 8:46 a.m. as a tribute to George Floyd. The time has become symbolic. Authorities say a white police officer pressed his knee into the back of Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes, 46 seconds. The handcuffed black man died after pleading for air. Commissioner Jay Monahan stood on the first tee and spoke about hopes of ending racial injustice.VIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTS NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball says it stands fully behind the Black Lives Matter movement.At the outset of the amateur draft broadcast Wednesday night, Commissioner Rob Manfred said “this moment is a call to action” and baseball “can do more as an institution” to combat systemic racism and inequality. Executives from all 30 teams working remotely held up signs that read: “Black Lives Matter. United For Change.” The baseball operations officials were joined by MLB and club owners in announcing donations to several organizations that support and fight for racial justice.The Detroit Tigers selected Arizona State slugger Spencer Torkelson with the No. 1 pick. The baseball-bashing Torkelson played first base in college, but the Tigers plan to move him to third. Torkelson hit 54 home runs at Arizona State and finished two shy of Bob Horner’s school record. Arkansas outfielder Heston Kjerstad went No. 2 to Baltimore after the Orioles took Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman with the top pick a year ago. Associated Press — The NFL has extended virtual offseason programs for teams through June 26. Although team facilities have opened for key personnel, coaches and players rehabilitating injuries, healthy players have been barred from those complexes due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The remote programs have taken the place of on-site work, and some teams already have announced they are shutting those down. But the league said Thursday it will allow the virtual work for an additional 15 days.— Australian rules football is back after a three-month shutdown, and fanatical fans in Melbourne were happy to see it — even if they could only watch on television. There were no spectators allowed in the cavernous, 100,000-seat Melbourne Cricket Ground for an Australian Football League game that would have drawn close to a capacity crowd in a perfect, non-coronavirus world. City rivals Richmond and Collingwood played to a draw. Other than the ban on spectators, the start of the game was also unique — players on both teams took a knee to show support for the Black Lives Matter movement. Both clubs and the league hierarchy said they wanted to support worldwide protests over the death in police custody of George Floyd.— English Premier League players won’t need to wear face masks arriving at stadiums, in dressing rooms or on the substitutes’ bench when the competition’s 100-day coronavirus shutdown ends next week. Clubs agreed Thursday on matchday protocols that include splitting stadiums into red, amber and green zones to reduce the risk of spreading the virus. Games will be played without fans so access to stadiums will be limited to around 300 people who will have their temperatures checked on arrival. The season is scheduled to resume on Wednesday with Aston Villa hosting Sheffield United and Arsenal playing at Manchester City.MLB-BLACK LIVES MATTERMLB opens draft with Black Lives Matter message, donations Update on the latest sports Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditPGA-COLONIALPGA Tour gets back to businessFORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — The PGA Tour is back. June 11, 2020 NHL camps to open July 10 pending deal to resumeUNDATED (AP) — NHL training camps will open July 10 if the league and players’ union can reach an agreement to resume the season. Setting the date gives the 17% of players overseas time to make arrangements to return in light of U.S. and Canada quarantine regulations. The league and NHLPA said the July 10 start of camps is pending medical and safety conditions and agreeing on getting back to games.Camps are expected to run two to three weeks with games taking place in two “hub” cities without fans. If the league and players finalize a deal to return, games could resume in early August.In other developments related to the coronavirus pandemic:— The PGA Tour Champions Boeing Classic scheduled to be held in August outside Seattle has been canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The tournament director says uncertainty about the ability to hold large public gatherings in Washington state led to the decision. The tournament was scheduled for Aug. 17-23 at The Club at Snoqualmie (snoh-KWALM’-ee) Ridge.
Former USC head football coach Steve Sarkisian is joining Alabama’s coaching staff as an offensive analyst, Alabama coach Nick Saban confirmed on Monday.Sarkisian was infamously fired at USC weeks into the 2015 season following a series of alcohol-related issues that began with a rant at the annual Salute to Troy event, where he appeared to be intoxicated. Then-Athletic Director Pat Haden gave him the axe in October after he showed up to a practice in poor condition.The 42-year-old was slated to join Fox Sports as a television analyst this season, but instead will take a job with the Crimson Tide.“We’re glad to have him as part of the organization,” Saban said to the media. “Hopefully he’ll be able to get back on his feet professionally and this will be beneficial to him.”Sarkisian will work with Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, who was also fired from USC in less-then-amicable fashion. Both Sarkisian and Kiffin also coached under Pete Carroll with the Trojans.Due to NCAA rules on staff size, Sarkisian will not be able to coach players on the field. He is the fifth former head coach to join Alabama’s coaching staff.Saban said that he and Sarkisian had discussed the role “quite a while ago.”“He’s going through some personal things himself to get himself in a very positive position and wants to continue to do those things in the future and professionally,” Saban said. “He loves coaching. I’ve known him for a long time and he’s a very, very good coach.”Saban added that Sarkisian is aware of ramifications should concerns flare up again.“I think he understands the consequences that he deals with professionally if he has any issues or problems,” Saban said.Sarkisian is still in the midst of a legal battle with USC. He filed a wrongful terminal lawsuit against the University last December, claiming the school should have allowed him to seek treatment for alcoholism rather than dismissing him. The case is headed for arbitration; Sarkisian is seeking the $12.6 million remaining on his contract in addition to unspecified damages.