Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says revenue from the tourism sector grew by 12.1 per cent in 2017, delivering $62.2 billion to the local economy.Mr. Bartlett, who was speaking in the 2018/19 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives, today (May 8), also reported that the sector is seeing an increase in employment.He noted that in 2017, tourism accounted for 8.9 per cent of the labour force, employing 122,500 workers, and generated indirect employment for another 250,000 workers.“These figures once again underscore the well-known fact that tourism is vital to the fulfilment of Vision 2030,” the Minister told the House, adding that the Ministry is committed to attracting five million tourists by 2021, the generation of US$5 billion in earnings, total direct jobs of 125,000, while adding 15,000 rooms.Mr. Bartlett said the sector is expanding at an “unprecedented pace” and remains poised to outperform the growth target of five per cent in five years, noting that for two consecutive years, tourism exceeded the five per cent projected annual growth.Last year, 4.3 million tourists visited Jamaica’s shores, with the country making history with 500,000 new visitors to the island in a single calendar year. Revenue grew in the sector from US$2.1 billion in 2016 to approximately US$3 billion in 2017.Mr. Bartlett said the Ministry will continue to give support to the security forces, and that more than $1 billion has been committed through the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) to ensure that “our destination remains safe and secure”.
Kolkata: Meena Supen (47) and her daughter Manisha Supen (19), who were travelling to Kota aboard the weekly Hazrat Nizamuddin-Thiruvananthapuram Central Superfast Express, died after they allegedly jumped off the moving train near Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh to catch a thief who stole their handbag.Their bodies were brought to the Ranchi Colony area of Durgapur on Sunday, amidst tension among the local residents. A pal of gloom descended on the family members of the victims, who have accused the railways for the incident. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThey alleged that there were no RPF personnel, as a result of which the incident occurred. Meena was taking her daughter to Rajasthan’s Kota for admitting her to a medical coaching centre there. It was also alleged by a section of their neighbours that the mother was thrown out of the running train by the thief and the daughter jumped off after seeing her mother. The railway police in Uttar Pradesh have started a case in this regard and are probing the incident. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayThe bodies reached Durgapur railway station at around 1 pm on Sunday. But the bodies were handed over to the family members after four hours, as the related documents did not reach the place. The family members of the victims alleged non-cooperation against the railway authorities. The local residents also demanded employment for a family member of the victims from the railways. The local MLA also reached the house of the victims and assured them of all possible help.
Those released on Sunday also included former B.C. Teachers’ Federation president Susan Lambert. In May, the federal government announced its intent to acquire Trans Mountain from Kinder Morgan Canada.According to recent documents filed with the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission, the sale could cost as much as $1.9 billion more than the initial quote of $4.5 billion.The documents also suggest the project could take another 12 months to finish.More than 200 activists have been arrested for demonstrations against the Trans Mountain project since March. In the statement, the five women – who include anti-poverty activist and Order of Canada recipient Jean Swanson – said they are not criminals, but “political prisoners.”Swanson said in a phone interview that her four days spent at the Alouette Correctional Centre for Women in Maple Ridge had not deterred her in what she said is a fight against climate change.“I don’t know how anyone can look at the sky in Vancouver today and say global warming is not an issue,” said Swanson, in reference to the smoke and particulate matter from wildfires hazing the skies in southwestern B.C.“We need to do something, we need to stop the insanity.”From her perspective as an anti-poverty advocate, Swanson said the Trans Mountain pipeline ties the issues of homelessness, poverty and climate change together.“For all those billions and billions of dollars, governments could actually create jobs building renewable energy … Governments could end homelessness, they could put clean and safe water on Indigenous reserves.” MAPLE RIDGE, B.C. – Several pipeline protesters were released from a B.C. jail on Sunday, a few days before their weeklong sentences were set to end.Seven protesters in all were sentenced to a week in jail on Aug. 15, after pleading guilty to contempt charges in B.C. Supreme Court.Five who were released on Sunday issued a joint statement, saying they were imprisoned because of their opposition to the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.
If schools are to be named after a person, the School District requires that they need to have been deceased for at least 5 years and also need to be distinct from other school names.The School Board said that when selecting new school names, it will be sensitive to cultural and social diversity, and that the names have good taste and are capable of standing the test of time.Two years ago, the School District chose to name what was then the city’s newest school for Alaska Highway News founder Margaret ‘Ma’ Murray after taking submissions from residents.Final naming decisions will be determined by the consensus of SD60’s Board of trustees.Residents can make their submissions via email to email@example.com until November 30th at noon. School Board members can also be sent naming submissions directly. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – School District #60 is asking to residents to start submitting their ideas of what they think the new elementary school under construction near the Fort St. John Hospital should be called.In a post on its website, the School District says it has a number of criteria that it is asking residents to adhere when submitting their proposed names.School District #60’s Naming Protocol states that new schools can be named after either the geographic areas and/or communities they serve, or persons who have been recognized for their historic, cultural, or social significance to the North Peace.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Two students from the Energetic Learning Campus (ELC) are going to host a mini music clinic at Margaret Ma Murray Community School.Aurora Fredericks and Jay-Cee Siemens as part of their school’s community project wanted to make a positive impact on the community.Fredericks and Siemens decided to host a mini music clinic at Ma Murray for grades 4-5 students from all schools in the Fort St. John school district on Saturday, June 8th.The student team will teach how to play the recorder, by playing games and playing fun songs will help teach the young students to learn notes. Participants will learn to play the recorder, learning notes and a few songs.The event runs from 1 pm -5 pm and you are required to RSVP to attend the event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Mumbai: After a video clipping of Will Smith shaking a leg with the star cast of ‘Student of the year 2’ went viral, producer Karan Johar has hinted at the possible appearance of the Hollywood actor in the upcoming Bollywood film. During the trailer launch of SOTY2 on Friday, when asked about Will Smith’s appearance in the upcoming film, Karan told media, “Smith shot for a Facebook show called ‘Bucket List’. One of his wish on that list was to dance on a Bollywood song.” Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka “Fortunately, I know Will Smith for a few years now, and when his team got in touch with us, we were shooting for ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’. He came and rehearsed for ‘Radhaa'(a song from the first instalment of the film released in 2012), and there is synergy between the two films. He came and shot that.” “Whether he will be a part of the film or not, that’s a question I will leave unanswered till you see the film,” added Karan. Besides Will Smith, actors Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan and Sidharth Malhotra, who started their Bollywood career with the film ‘Student Of The Year’ are also expected to make a cameo appearance in the second instalment of the film. The story of the film SOTY2 revolves around the lives of two college girls, played by debutants Ananya Panday and Tara Sutaria, who falls in love with Tiger Shroff. The film is slated for release on May 10.
Cairo- Egyptian objections are delaying formation of a committee to implement expert recommendations on an Ethiopian dam project, which Cairo fears could diminish its water supply, Ethiopia’s water minister said Tuesday.At a one-day meeting in Khartoum, the water ministers of Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia agreed to form the panel, Alemayehu Tegenu told reporters.“But we didn’t agree about the composition of this committee,” he said. “We have differences with Egypt.”The Ethiopian minister declined to elaborate on why there was disagreement over the committee’s membership but said the three sides would meet again in Khartoum on December 8.Ethiopia began diverting the Blue Nile in May to build the 6,000 MW Grand Renaissance Dam, which will be Africa’s largest when completed in 2017.An international panel has issued a report outlining the dam’s impact on water levels.The report has not been made public, but Ethiopia has said it confirms that the impact on water levels is minimal.Cairo had sought more studies about the dam’s impact on its water supply, which is almost entirely dependent on the Nile.Egypt believes its “historic rights” to the Nile are guaranteed by two treaties from 1929 and 1959 which allow it 87 percent of the Nile’s flow and give it veto power over upstream projects.But a new deal signed in 2010 by other Nile Basin countries, including Ethiopia, allows them to work on river projects without Cairo’s prior agreement.Sudan, along with Egypt, has not signed the new Nile Basin deal.Sudan too relies on Nile resources but has said it does not expect to be affected by the Grand Renaissance project.