Martin Skrtel has ruled out a return to the Premier League, amid reported interest from Newcastle, Stoke and Swansea.The former Liverpool defender, who spent eight years at Anfield, has been hotly tipped to return to England this summer, with a number of Premier League clubs interested.However, the Fenerbahce defender has poured cold water on talk of a potential move, insisting he is happy with the Turkish giants.The Slovakia international told Turkish newspaper Sozcu: “I don’t want to leave.“I have settled in and want to remain at Fenerbahce.”The experienced defender joined Fenerbahce from Liverpool in a £5m switch last summer and still has two years remaining on his current contract. Martin Skrtel [right] insists he is happy at Fenerbahce 1
“Education spending has grown by 14 percent a year for the past three years and accounts for R140.4-billion in the spending plans of provinces and national government for 2008/09,” Manuel said during his 2009/10 Budget speech. South African state spending on education remains its single biggest investment, Finance Minister Trevor Manuel told Parliament in Cape Town on Wednesday. A further R330-million would go towards to the National Student Financial Aid Scheme, while funding was also available for the establishment of a new National Education Evaluation Unit, which would evaluate a new salary dispensation for teachers, linked to school and teacher performance. An additional R700-million would be allocated for higher education subsidies and to accommodate anticipated growth in student enrolment from 783 900 in 2008 to 836 800 by 2011. There would also be a strengthening of training colleges and a recapitalisation of technical schools over the next three years, Manuel said. 11 February 2009 The President also raised concerns about the drop-out rate, particularly at secondary and tertiary levels, and challenged the country’s education system to produce the kind of skills needed by society. “Trends in performance, both in terms of teaching and learning, show a worrying persistence of the social divisions of the past,” he said. “Ironically, precisely where education is most needed to help break the cycle of poverty is where infrastructure, administrative and teacher capacity are least impressive,” Motlanthe said during the opening of Parliament. The government’s key priorities in education included extending the no-fee school policy from the current 40 percent to 60 percent of schools, expanding the school nutrition programme, reducing average class sizes in schools, serving lower income communities, and increasing expenditure on school buildings. President Kgalema Motlanthe, in his state of the nation address on Friday, said he was concerned at a trend of schools in rural and impoverished areas lacking infrastructure and capacity. Source: BuaNews
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Wheat harvest will soon be underway; we often get questions about the nutrient value of straw. The nutrient value of wheat straw is influenced by several factors including weather, variety, and cultural practices. Thus, the most accurate values require sending a sample of the straw to an analytical laboratory. However, “book values” can be used to estimate the nutrient values of wheat straw.In previous newsletters, we reported that typically a ton of wheat straw would provide approximately 11 pounds of N, 3 pounds of P2O5, and 20 pounds of K2O. Michigan State University reports similar numbers for a ton of wheat straw: 13 pounds of N, 3.3 pounds of P2O5 and 23 pound of K2O. A 2013 analysis of wheat straw collected at the OARDC farm in Wooster contained 14-18 pounds of N, 3-4 pounds of P2O5, and 20-23 pounds of K2O. These values were across four wheat varieties and three spring nitrogen application rates (60, 90, and 120 lb N/acre). The 2013 values corresponded fairly well with the previously reported “book values.” Nitrogen values in 2013 were slightly greater than “book values” which may have been a result of wheat height/size. If plants are shorter/smaller, percentage nitrogen tends to be greater than taller/larger plants due to a dilution factor as the plant grows. Regardless, the 2013 analysis provides validity to the nutrient value of straw given in previous newsletters.The nitrogen in wheat straw will not immediately be available for plant uptake. The nitrogen will need to be converted by microorganisms to ammonium and nitrate (a process called “mineralization”). Once the nitrogen is in the ammonium and/or nitrate form, it is available for plant uptake. The rate of which mineralization occurs depends on the amount of carbon and nitrogen in the straw (C:N ratio). The USDA reports a C:N ratio of 80:1 for wheat straw which means there are 80 units of carbon for every unit of nitrogen. Mineralization rapidly occurs when the C:N ratio is ≤ 20:1. At a C:N ratio of 80:1, mineralization will be much slower. (For comparison, corn stover is reported to have a C:N ratio of 57:1.) Rate of mineralization is also influenced by soil moisture and temperature. Since mineralization is a microbial-driven process, mineralization will be slowed (halted) in the winter when temperatures are cold. Thus, no N credit is given for wheat straw since it is not known when the N will mineralize and become available to the following crop.Besides providing nutrients, straw has value as organic matter, but it is difficult to determine the dollar value for it. Removal of straw does lower soil potash levels. If straw was removed after heavy rainfall, some of the potash may have leached out of the straw, lowering the nutrient value of the straw. However, a soil test should be done to accurately estimate nutrient availability for future crops.
Wary of an Indian backlash after their humiliating loss in the series opener, South African batting coach Duncan Fletcher on Friday asked his players to hit visiting team “hard” from ball one in tomorrow’s second cricket one-dayer here.South Africa had crushed India by a huge margin of 135 runs in the first one-dayer at Durban on Wednesday.But going by India’s performance in the tour so far, South Africa cannot afford to relax as Mahendra Singh Dhoni and company have made a strong comeback in the three-match Test series, drawing it after losing the first Test by an innings.”Just got to be very wary that this happened in the Test series. But I don’t think it will. There seems to be a very good attitude amongst this one-day squad. They seem to have learnt their lesson. It’s just important that they go in there and hit India hard from ball one again,” Fletcher told media on the eve of the second ODI of the five-match series.”And make sure they don’t get complacent. India are quite an experienced side. Although they’ve got young players, if but they are pretty experienced. You got to be wary this fact.They know how to play out of these situations. South Africa have to be careful,” added the former England coach.Fletcher, however, is not happy with the home team’s handling of the Power-plays.”I’ve always believed they haven’t really believed when they have taken it. If sides or captains want, there are a lot of possibilities on how to take them.advertisement”It’s just been a misinterpretation as how you play within the Power Play. Sometimes you’ve got to look at it as there are other advantages of taking it at a certain time,” he said.Talking about the changing face of the game in the wake of Twenty20 cricket, Fletcher said: “It (T20) had an influence right through cricket. The players are going to be more attacking, but 50 overs is a lot of cricket.”If sides think they can go out there and adopt a Twenty20 attitude from ball one, sure on a given day they might be successful, but not over a period of time. They got to be very wary that in 50 overs there will be periods when you have to be more patient.” .Fletcher also said that international teams should have the ability to adjust to different conditions and playing surfaces and was satisfied with the Proteas team on this front.”I believe South Africa matches everyone as far as one-day cricket is concerned. They haven’t been fooled by the wicket they bowled on. They won’t bowl on that wicket very often, but when they get on it they play very very well.”When they go to India the wickets may be a bit slower and a bit flatter, but they just have to get used to it. They have to adapt a bit quicker. Bowlers at the international level have got to do that. They’ve got the skill and the ability to do that,” he said.Fletcher made no bones about the fact that South Africa was missing Jacques Kallis but said the upcoming all-rounders are really bright.”Obviously they’re going to have a problem with the all-rounder. South Africa always had plenty of all-rounders which has given them depth. They’ve got into the area that without Jacques Kallis they might need a bit of depth but the backup batters are good enough. All it needs a little bit more experience I guess,” he said without taking any names.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
MOST READ LATEST STORIES SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Manny Pacquiao’s knockout loss against Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012 did not bother him as much as the setback he suffered against Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2015.According to Hall of Fame coach Freddie Roach, Pacquiao was never the same fighter in the aftermath of being stopped as a pro. But he explained that Pacquiao, who suffered stoppage defeats in the early days of his career, saw the knockout loss as just another part of the sport.ADVERTISEMENT Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue “Manny Pacquiao knows that being knocked out is part of the sport and accepts it more than anyone else,” Roach told boxingscene.com. “It’s part of the sport, unfortunately, things happen and that night things did not go our way.”Pacquiao (60-7-2, 39 KOs) is training under Roach, best friend Buboy Fernandez and strength and conditioning coach Justin Fortune for his defense of the World Boxing Association (WBA) “regular” welterweight title against Adrien Broner (33-3-1, 24 KOs).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionThe contest scheduled Jan. 19 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, with Showtime Pay-Per-View carrying the bout.In the same Las Vegas venue in 2012, Pacquiao faced Marquez for the fourth time in their rivalry. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting New season—not ROY plum—on Perkins’ mind TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening In the sixth round, Pacquiao appeared to be on the verge of securing a stoppage win when Marquez, in the final seconds, clipped him with a perfect counter and the Filipino star was knocked unconscious.While there was always some talk of a fifth encounter, Marquez made a career decision to reject that option and eventually retired.“We were a a punch away from getting the same result on the other side. If Manny had not lost his balance, he would not have been beaten that way,” Roach recalled.“When they knocked me out the first time I was never the same, but Manny Pacquiao sees it as part of the sport and that’s why I think he’s so efficient.”In 2015 also in Las Vegas, undefeated five-division world champion Mayweather beat Pacquiao by unanimous decision in the bout billed as “The Fight of the Century.” —BOXINGSCENE.COMADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony PLAY LIST 00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony00:50Trending Articles00:44Manny Pacquiao on Floyd Mayweather: Let him enjoy retirement02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Eliud Kipchoge ran the quickest recorded marathon on Saturday, crossing the line at the Monza Formula One track in two hours and 25 seconds but missing out on an ambitious attempt to break the two-hour barrier.The 32-year-old’s time smashed the official mark of 2:02:57 set by fellow Kenyan Dennis Kimetto in Berlin in 2014 but will not enter the record books largely due to a non-compliant system of pacemaking.”The is not the end of the attempt of runners on two hours,” the Olympic champion said after the race, likening the challenge to climbing a tree. “When you step on the branches… immediately you go to the next one.”Kipchoge rated it as the finest performance in a career that includes a gold medal at the Rio Games last year and a personal best official time of 2:03:05, the third-fastest in history.”This journey has been good, it has been hard, it has been seven months hard preparation. It has been history in the world of sport,” he added.Kipchoge and the only other competitors, Eritrean Zersenay Tadese and Ethiopian Lelisa Desisa, ran behind an arrow-head formation of pacemakers, to reduce drag, and a car beaming a green line on the road behind it to show the required speed for the sub-two hour target.Amid deep scepticism, Nike pitched the attempt as sport’s “moon shot”, with a keen eye on sales of its running shoes. It designed a lightweight shoe, Zoom Vaporfly Elite, with a carbon-fibre insole as part of the meticulous preparations.advertisementNike’s arch rival, German firm adidas, also has its own ‘Sub2’ project, also with a new shoe.30 PACEMAKERSIn 2014, “Runners World” magazine predicted a sub-two under normal race conditions would not happen until 2075, based on analysis of more than 10,000 top marathon performances.The race began in pre-dawn gloom at a brutal speed behind pacemakers, who were world class runners in their own right, including former world champion middle distance runner Bernard Lagat of the United States.A total of 30 pacemakers split into groups of six, taking turns to set a tempo in a race run 63 years to the day after Briton Roger Bannister became the first man to run a mile in less than four minutes.The Monza track was chosen for its wide, sweeping curves, lack of undulation and cool, low-wind environment. The runners were also delivered essential fluids on the move by moped in order to prevent them slowing down at feeding stations.The sub-two hour mark required a pace below four minutes and 35 seconds per mile, which the determined Kipchoge managed to match until falling behind the pace car in the last two laps of the 2.4 km circuit.Kipchoge completed the first half of the race in 59:57, just one and a half minutes off the official half-marathon world record set by Saturday’s second-place finisher, Tadese.The 35-year-old Eritrean, the oldest competitor on Saturday, finished in 2:06:51, followed by the youngest, 26-year-old Desisa, in 2:14:10.
Maguire tells Man Utd fans: Goals coming soonby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveHarry Maguire is confident he’ll break his Manchester United scoring duck. The summer signing has yet to score in six Premier League appearances for United. Speaking ahead of Monday’s clash with Arsenal, Maguire said: “I see myself as a threat.”I’ve had a couple of headers this year up to now and I’m sure to get on the end of many more crosses and create chances in the box. It’s something I take pride in as I work on it on the training pitch. “I like to say I’ll chip in with some goals to help the team out in terms of getting some good results.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
SYDNEY, N.S. – A 28-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder and robbery with violence in the death of a prominent Nova Scotia businessman.Jim Matthews — co-founder of a financial planning business in Halifax — was found dead at in his apartment in Sydney last Tuesday.Cape Breton Regional Police Chief Peter McIsaac said Aaron Shaun Young of New Waterford has been charged in the 54-year-old man’s death.Young is also facing firearms and robbery-related charges for two separate incidents in New Waterford last Monday, said McIsaac.“These offences occurred subsequent to the homicide of Mr. Matthews,” said McIsaac, noting that Young was charged early last week in those armed robberies and was remanded into custody.“Our investigators were quickly able to identify Mr. Young as a suspect, and we knew that there was not an individual at large in our community after committing a homicide, and we were satisfied that there was no ongoing risk to public safety.”Matthews split his time between Halifax and Cape Breton, and was part-owner of the market building where his body was discovered.The coal miner’s son co-owned Matthews McDonough Financial Planning Inc., in Halifax.Originally from Sydney Mines, he had a passion for revitalizing Sydney’s downtown core. He owned several office buildings in the city, including the popular Prince Street Market.“He wanted to help revitalize downtown. He was passionate about it and the building is up and running and a success.” John Tompkins, his long-time business partner, said Aug. 31.“Jim was a guy that was up at 3:30 or four o’clock in the morning and was out for a run and an hour bike ride before you had your coffee. You could never match his energy and his zest for life.”Young appeared in Sydney provincial court on Friday and is scheduled to appear in court again Oct. 10.
Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Fans have already snapped up many of the tickets to Stratford Perth Museum’s Justin Bieber exhibit, opening Feb. 18. – Chris Pizzello/AP/File Facebook “We really didn’t believe how big he got so quick,” says his grandfather, Bruce Dale. “It was just amazing.” Advertisement Login/Register With: Justin Bieber’s grandparents stand next to the steps of the Avon Theatre in his hometown of Stratford, Ont., where they remember him busking even before he turned 10.“He was raising money to take his mom on a trip to Disney World… and he did,” says Diane Dale, Bieber’s grandmother. “He made a lot of money sitting here on the steps. He was good.”Viral videos of him performing on the steps of the theatre are what helped Bieber get noticed by his talent manager Scooter Braun and become one of the best-selling artists in the world soon afterwards. Advertisement Twitter