Hydel sweat on ISSA decision

first_imgDespite being reduced to nine men, a resilient Hydel High refused to surrender Group I leadership to their rivals and are still occupying pole position with four points, courtesy of a fighting come-from-behind 2-2 draw with former champions Camperdown High at the Constant Spring Field yesterday.Hydel’s main goalscorer, Nicholas Nelson (11 goals), fired low and hard at goal, which Stephen Barnett followed up and hit home in the 41st minute for his 10th goal of the season.Barnett was again pivotal in the 86th minute. His free kick, which dipped and swerved from goalkeeper Kristoffe Samuels, rebounded to Rodari Edwards, who spanked home in the 86th minute.Camperdown’s scorer was Kevin Clarke, who netted in the 46th and 80th minutes, as captain Tevin Shaw missed a 64th-minute penalty which could have won the game for his team.Hydel’s captain, Kurt Thomas, was sent off after picking up a second yellow, and Kevin Wright also followed, for hard tackling. The two-man difference gave Camperdown ample space to do damage and score, but they just couldn’t.In the earlier contest, Denham Town leapt into second position, edging Innswood High 1-0 at the same venue.Substitute Orlando Brown received an aerial ball, wrestled past his marker and struck home his first goal of the season in minute 77.The result leaves the Ferry-based school on four points for the time being, one ahead of Denham Town.Meanwhile, Denham Town are banking on the hope that Hydel will lose three points gained from them, following their 3-0 loss last Tuesday.It is being challenged that Hydel used an ineligible player, Howard Morris, who was given a red card in the FLOW Super Cup game against Clarendon College, but started for Hydel.A boardroom meeting with ISSA will rule on the matter tomorrow as to whether Hydel will keep or lose three invaluable points.”I am confident it will go in our favour, because based on all the rules we have seen and based on FIFA rules and ISSA rules, we are safe,” Hydel’s coach, Geoffrey Maxwell, told The Gleaner.”No, we were not wrong,” he continued. “There is nothing wrong in what we did.”Meanwhile, Denham Town’s Omar Edwards said: “Who knows what will happen on Friday. We are very optimistic. We have Camperdown to play, and I believe that we are in a good stead going forward. Our intention is to go all the way.”Hydel will play Innswood – who are without a win – in their final game.Yesterday’s ResultsGroup IDenham Town 1 Innswood High 0Hydel 2 Camperdown 2Today’s gamesGroup H1:00 p.m. Vauxhall vs Jamaica College3:00 p.m. Holy Trinity vs Wolmer’sBoth matches will be played at Constant Spring Fieldlast_img read more

Man who raped grand-niece after Take That concert jailed for seven years

first_imgA man who molested and raped his grand-niece 25 years ago at locations in Donegal and Dublin has been jailed for seven years for the “enormous and gross breach of trust”.The 66-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the victim’s anonymity, was convicted of five offences after a jury trial at the Central Criminal Court last April. He had pleaded not guilty to three counts of sexual assault between November 1992 and December 1994 and two counts of rape between June and September 1994.Sentencing the man, Ms Justice Margaret Heneghan said the man had exerted enormous control over his victim and exploited her when she was a “young, defenceless and vulnerable” child.“Sexual crimes can have exceptional, irrevocable consequences of a devastating nature on the victim, their families and the perpetrator and their families,” the judge said.She noted the man had expressed no remorse for his offending.Handing down the seven year sentence, the judge accepted the man would have difficulty in prison given his age. He has no previous convictions and the court heard he has not come to Garda attention since abusing his grand-niece.The court previously heard that the victim was aged about 10 when the man began kissing her and molesting her.In the summer of 1994, when she was aged 12, he raped her twice. The second incident of rape took place when she and her mother had come to Dublin for a Take That concert and were staying at their relatives’ home.In a victim impact statement, the woman said that she felt dirty, angry and sick after the assaults. She said she would relive the rapes and abuse over and over again as a child.She said she now suffers from panic attacks, flashbacks, anxiety and depression. She said this has affected her ability to work and to hold down relationships.The woman said she is hyper-vigilant and protective around her children. She panics when they go swimming and will not let anybody else bathe them. She said this has led to major rows.She said that after her son was born she began seeing her attacker’s face in her son and suffered post-natal depression. She was unable to care for the child and she began counselling to deal with this.“All my life I have felt that I was living in a prison,” she said, adding that she no longer feels a prisoner of her past because she has come forward about the abuse.Patrick Gageby SC, defending, handed in a large number of testimonials from family and friends of the defendant. He said his client has no other convictions and was of otherwise good character.He said his client’s wife had health difficulties and was extremely reliant on her husband. He said the court was entitled to take this into consideration in sentencing.Mr Gageby said the woman originally made substantial complaints of repeated abuse at the hands of another relative, who has since died.After the sentence was handed down, the man kissed and hugged his wife before being taken into custody.Man who raped grand-niece after Take That concert jailed for seven years was last modified: May 20th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more