That’s when things turned around. Instead, he got back on the road, got to HO’T in time and won the Jack Bagby Memorial main event for IMCA Modifieds, earning both $1,000 and a berth of the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot. It was also one of those nights that didn’t start out that way. Hoegh finished fourth and starting last in a heat race that ran caution-free, then drew the pole for the 20-lap feature. He led every time around the oval, taking the checkers ahead of two-time defending track champion Eric Tomlinson and Chris Morris. Jeffrey Abbey scored the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car victory and Sid Kiphen was the Smiley’s Racing Products Southern SportMod winner Friday at Heart O’ Texas. Brian Schoenbaum Jr. was first across the stripe in the Mach-1 Sport Compact feature. David Goode Jr. and former track champ Kevin Green completed the top five. Feature results – 1. Jeff Hoegh; 2. Eric Tomlinson; 3. Chris Morris; 4. David Goode Jr.; 5. Kevin Green; 6. Justin Radcliff; 7. Cody Daniel; 8. Mark Carrell; 9. David Goode Sr.; 10. Mike McCarthy; 11. Jerry Frydrych; 12. Brent Gilliam; 13. Evan Pardo; 14. Donald Banker; 15. Rob Slott; 16. Jason Kingrey. ELM MOTT, Texas (March 1) – Just 30 minutes into the 3-1/2 hour tow to Heart O’ Texas Speedway and already running late, Jeff Hoegh thought about turning around and starting his season another night. Hoegh had to stop for fuel half an hour into the trip, then needed another half hour to fill up. He had already missed the draw when he pulled up to the pit gate and learned the wristbands were his unlucky red. Hoegh also won his first race last season, then went 27 starts and two days shy of a year before his next checkers Friday night. “Being in front is the loneliest place. I gave the car what I had to and was able to drive away when I needed to,” Hoegh said. “We won two track championships in 2017, then traveled more last year. We did a lot of learning and experimenting,” said Hoegh, who ventured to Iowa for the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s and later in September to Arkansas for Race For Hope 74. “I’ve got a new car this year (a 2019 CAM Chassis) and have run practice laps a couple times. The car is comfortable and was working right.” Jeff Hoegh started his season with the $1,000 IMCA Modified feature win at Heart O’ Texas Speedway’s Jack Bagby Memorial lidlifter. The victory put Hoegh on the ballot for the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational. (Photo by Stacy Kolar, Southern Sass Photography) “Getting on the ballot is a pretty big deal for me. I’m glad we started off the year the way we have,” said Hoegh. “It was one of those nights when everything turned out good.”
Asante Kotoko beat the Ghana Premier League champions by a goal to nil to win the SIC H.P Nyametei SWAG Cup on Sunday at the Baba Yara Sports Stadium, Kumasi in the presence of their life patron and owner Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, the Asantehene.Eric Donkor carried his last season’s form into the pre-season by scoring a 90 minute goal to help his side clinch the SWAG Cup for a record 14 time.The first half was balanced, but Ashgold who have augmented their squad with the inclusion of the Nuhu brothers, Fuseini Nuhu and Alhassan from New Edubiase United were slightly on top in the half.However, Kotoko managed coil the attacking threats of the Miners and settled for a scoreless draw to end the half.Coach David Duncan started the game with some new faces, namely Theophilus Nyame, who played the holding midfield role, Stephen Nyarko, Edwin Tuffour Frimpong, Osei Agyemang while the likes of Kwame Boahene, Bennett Ofori came on as substitutes. The fire power of Ashgold was quenched by Kotoko who came top in the second half and created some decent chances, but their attacking line failed to put the ball past Robert Dabuo in the league champions post.Coach Bashiru Hayford gambled in the 90 minute by replacing Robert Dabuo with Nana Bonsu to conjure magic for Ashanti Gold should the referee blow his whistle to usher the two sides into penalty shootout to break the tie.But, it failed to work out for him as Ashgold conceded a free kick, just outside the 18-yard box and the sensational Eric Donkor finished off to beat rusty Nana Bonsu in his first test in the game.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Jon Jones has been granted a one-fight license for UFC 235 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a year The UFC light heavyweight champion will have to submit to two drug tests a month before the fight which is scheduled for March 2. He will have to pay for the testing and must be tested rigorously after the fight as well. Official: Nevada has granted Jon Jones a one fight license to compete at UFC 235 on March 2.Jones will be tested at least twice a month and he must pay for testing.And then he will continue to be tested rigorously for the rest of the year.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) January 29, 2019Jones tested positive for a small amount of the banned substance Turinabol before his fight with Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 232. Because the test was so close to the fight, and there was no certainty as to whether it was a leftover amount from a previous positive test, the fight was moved to Los Angeles so it could take place.The UFC was not sure if the NSAC would approve of a fight on such short notice with the positive test, so it was relocated.Jones will face Anthony Smith at UFC 235 for the light heavyweight title. Smith has won three fights in a row and six of his last seven.OFFICIAL!🏆 @JonnyBones defends the LHW title against @LionheartASmith in the MAIN EVENT of #UFC235! pic.twitter.com/y6T6xMYqob— UFC (@ufc) January 29, 2019
As the Government of Liberia and partners intensify efforts to encourage facility delivery by pregnant women, UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund has called for hospitals to remain clean and comfortable.“We cannot advocate for facility delivery when health centers remain in shambles and unattractive,” says UNFPA Liberia Resident Representative Ms. Ratidzai Ndhlovu. “When a woman walks into a clinic or hospital to deliver, she must see the facility as the best place for her delivery. We don’t want pregnant women to hesitate to come to the institution because it is so uncomfortable”“UNFPA is committed to remain a trusted partner to the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare,” Ms. Ndhlovu said during an appreciation program on Tuesday 14 January, by the administration of the James N. Davies Memorial Hospital for UNFPA’s contribution to the face-lifting process of the hospital. The James N. Davies Hospital is located in Paynesville, a suburb of Monrovia and is a maternal and child health hospital that serves a population of about 250,000 people.She said because maternal health is at the core of UNFPA’s mission, the fund will continue to support activities of the Ministry of Health to prevent maternal death by providing technical assistance for family planning, strengthening and upgrading of health facilities and referral mechanisms, improving midwife training curricula. It will also continue supporting human resources management; mobilizing communities and promoting women’s rights. “UNFPA is committed to all efforts that promote the reproductive health and rights of women and girls; ensuring that no woman dies giving life.”In Liberia four women die every day due to pregnancy related complications. In appreciation of UNFPA’s gesture, the Chief Medical Officer and Deputy Health Ministry Dr. Bernice Dahn pleaded for direct UNFPA support to the James N. Davies hospital. “This hospital attends mostly to pregnant women and their newborns, and children and it is one of the hospitals with very high newborn deaths,” she said.In March 2011, the Government of Liberia and partners launched the roadmap for accelerated reduction of maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity in the country. The roadmap guides the delivery of basic, essential and quality reproductive health care services to the people including institutional delivery.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. LAS VEGAS (WSVN) — MGM Resorts International is suing over 1,000 victims of the shooting in Las Vegas in an effort to avoid being held liable.According to the Las Vegas Review Journal, the company, which owns Mandalay Bay and the Route 91 Harvest Festival venue, is saying they cannot be held liable for the Oct. 1 shooting which left 58 people dead and 851 injured.The gunman, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, opened fire from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay onto people attending the music festival before he took his own life.MGM is citing a 2002 federal act that waives liability for a company that uses “anti-terrorism” services that can help prevent or respond to mass violence. They claim the security vendor that was hired for the festival was certified by the Department of Homeland Security for “protecting against and responding to acts of mass injury and destruction.”Attorney Robert Eglet, who represents several shooting victims, called the resort’s decision to file in federal court a “blatant display of judge shopping.”“I’ve never seen a more outrageous thing, where they sue the victims in an effort to find a judge they like,” Eglet told the Las Vegas Review Journal. “It’s just really sad that they would stoop to this level.”MGM is not seeking any money from the victims. However, they are asking a judge to dismiss future lawsuits against the company if the the act is applicable.